~16~

When we are finally back on the jet Clint decides to take a nap. He seems to sleep a lot. If I didn't know already I wouldn't guess Clint was former assassin and current Avenger.

Nat, Tony and Steve are now listening to how Bucky was....well alive. Will was flying and Ethan was also sleeping leaving me and Mary. I had just got done explaining my Hydra connection and Mary was sitting opposite me going through some of the files she stole from Hydra.

From what I could tell when I glanced over them briefly them were mostly personnel files. She gonna get one hell of a shock if she has mine. "Hey I think I found your file," Mary comment causing me to freeze for a second.

"Not a good read. Wouldn't recommend it," I comment casually even though I desperately want to rip the tablet away from her so she won't read it. Judging by her face I'd say she read the exact part I didn't want her to. Her eyes shoot to mine but before she can say anything I shake my head and whisper, "not now." I close my eyes when I see her holding back some tears as she glances to her father and brother.

[][][][][]

After a five hour long trip from Russia to New York we were finally at the Avengers Tower. As we disembarked the jet Bruce was waiting for us to take care of anyone who was wounded. Just as we reached the tower doors blood started to soak through the bandage on my shoulder,  "ah, perfect timing," I mutter. "Bruce," I call as I walk towards the living room area. He turns to look at me and immediately notices the blood on my shoulder.

"Come with me," he requests walking towards the elevator, I follow with Clint close behind me.

Once we reach the lab Bruce starts working on my shoulder as Clint sits so I can lean against his side. Ten minutes later we are walking back to the elevator while I have my arm up in a sling.

By the time we return to the main floor everyone else had already helped them selves to Tony's bar which is exactly what we did when we got back. I help myself to an expensive bottle of whiskey.

"Jeez Hayley, why do you always go for the expensive stuff," Tony mutters. I roll my eyes as I fall down beside Clint on the sofa, cuddling into him with my drink.

[][][][][]

"Okay, I'm gonna go get some air," I state as I laugh. A few hours later and I'm little bit tipsy. Most of us are completely sober except, obviously, Tony. Though, Nat is sitting hugging a bottle of vodka so I'm pretty sure she's drunk too.

When I reach the balcony I take a deep breath hoping the fresh air will sober me up a little. As I stand with my eyes closed I hear the door slide open and closed again. I don't have to look to know who it is. She's been dying to say something ever since we got off the jet.

"I was wondering how long it would be before you said something," I comment as I open my eyes to look at Mary. She was standing beside me looking out over the city.

She takes a deep breath before turning to me, "how long have you known?" She asks swallowing her emotions.

"Not as long as you'd think. I've known since that Christmas Clint and I spent with you guys. I mean of course I'd recognise a photo of myself despite how young I was on it," I tell her softly. She looks at me with tears in her eyes taking another breath.

"Why didn't you say anything?" She asks quietly.

"Because saying something would mean admitting my past with Hydra. Something that I'm....ashamed of. I didn't know what to say," I explain. 

She gulps before whispering, "now what?" 

I sigh heavily, "what do you want to happen?" 

"They need to know," she states looking directly at me. "You go tell them. I'm gonna find Clint, he needs to know too," I reply before we both head back inside. I take a deep calming breath before I head to get Clint.