~04~

"Can you believe we've been married for two years?" I question Clint in disbelief, it still doesn't feel real. Clint smiles and pulls me in for a kiss.

"I got the girl of my dreams, it doesn't feel real," he replies smiling. "Come on, our reservation is in 30 minutes."

After our meal I notice Clint acting nervous, I have a good idea why but i'll wait for him to say it. "So....there's something i need to tell you," he states as he finishes his drink. I smile and nod for him to continue, "I got a call from my boss this morning, I have to go away for a while," he tells me nervously. I smile and grab his hand across the table in reassurance having already known it would be something like this.

"It's okay. I get it, it's your job. This just means we'll have to make the most of our time together before you leave," I tell him smirking near the end. He laughs quietly and smirks back.

"Then what are we waiting for?"

[][][][][]

3rd Person 

"Nat," Mary calls as she steps off the quinjet onto the helicarrier. "What do we know?"

"Nothing much, we still can't find him," Natasha Romanoff replies sadly. Mary sighs sadly thinking of her best friend, Hayley, back in New York.

"Does Hayley know anything?" Mary asks as they walk inside the carrier, Nat shakes her head.

"Collins, Romanoff," director Fury calls when he sees them, "Barton's wife, Hayley, has not been informed of the situation, however, I am giving the two of you the decision of what and when she is told. This is your choice now."

"What do we tell her?" Mary asks as Fury walks away leaving the two friends.

"What can we tell her? If we tell her that her husband's missing she's just going to worry and panic," Natasha retorts. "We should wait till we know more or until we find him."

"We don't know if we're going to find him anytime soon," Mary replied sadly. "We should just call her now, get it over with."

Natasha pulls out her phone and calls Hayley.

"Nat?"

"Hey Hayley."

"What's wrong?"

"It's Clint, he's missing."

There's a brief pause and intake of breath over the phone before Hayley answers shakily.

"I....uh....i've got to go. Can you keep me updated?"

"Of course."

Mary and Nat share a look after she's hung up, they sigh sadly as they can only imagine how Hayley feels right now.

[][][][][]

Hayley POV

I stare sadly down at my wedding ring as I sit with my coffee outside a local cafe. It's been two days since the call with Nat and I haven't heard from her since. What if he's hurt? What if he's dead? He can't be. I need him. I didn't even notice I was crying until a tear landed on my hand. Angrily, I wipe my eyes and look up to the sky breathing slowly.

My eyes widen as a hole opens in the sky and something flies out. I look around to see everyone in a state of panic as the creatures that landed start shooting. Quickly, I shoot up and head into an alley nearby. Suddenly, my phone rings, I answer instantly to silence the ring and avoid attention.

"Hello?"

"Hayley, where are you?"

"Clint. I'm in an alley near the coffee shop."

"Hayley, listen to me, okay? You need to get somewhere safe, you need to get out of New York."

"Okay, okay i'll try."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I let out a deep breath as I hang up the phone and head down the alley. I jump to the side as something shoots at me, I turn to see one of the creatures stalking towards me. Quickly, I pull out a gun and shoot it in, what I assume was its head. I sigh and run off to find a safer place to stay.

After helping as many people as possible without anyone seeing I wait in an abandoned station on the subway, it's relatively safe and I still have a signal. After another 10 minutes I check the news on my phone to see that the avengers have stopped the invasion and that it's over. Quickly, I head out of the subway looking for Clint.

As I walk the wrecked streets of New York I notice three people in an alley across the road. Three people I would recognise anywhere. I cross the street and as I get closer Clint notices me and breaks into a sprint with Nat and Mary not far behind. As soon as he reaches me he pulls me into a passionate kiss.