~Chapter 5~

The lights flicker on and off signifying the end of intermission. Taking that as my cue to return to my seat, I squeeze past the other seated spectators to make it to my seat between Jun and Nacy. The school auditorium quiets as the lights dim and the stage becomes lit once again while members of the cast make their way onto stage singing "Seasons of Love."

Once Brielle steps onto the stage, Jun yells a loud single woo. The only one in the entire audience. I can see the slight blush of Brielle as she already knows only Jun would have the pluck to do that. It has become a regular occurence for Jun to do this when we attend Brielle's performances, so I can't say I'm surprised, but that doesn't make it less embarrassing.

I can't help but sing along with the actors on stage, especially during "Without You" where Brielle is front and center as Mimi. Watching her portray her character is amazing. At times, I almost forget that she's not a club dancing, drug addict. Brielle always becomes so deeply entertwined with her characters that it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. The character becomes an extension of her and an escape into the mind of someone else. It's riveting to watch.

And to be honest, this is a great rendition of Rent  for a high school play. That's why by the end, everyone is up on their feets giving the cast a much deserved standing ovation. Despite all the noise from every person in the audience, I'm sure Brielle can still hear Jun's loud hoots. 

Eventually the applause dies down, and the actors leave the stage, indicating that it's time to leave. Nacy, Jun, and I follow the rest of the audience members out of the theater and into the foyer. The crowd of people tightly packed together in this small space makes it difficult to spot Brielle, and my tip toeing to peer over the heads of others doesn't seem to be helping at all.

"There she is," points Nacy as she squeezes through the throngs of people. Jun and I follow her closely trying not to lose her in the sea of people. It's tough to follow her at times, but eventually she stops, and we see Brielle.

She smiles, her overly done makeup slightly smudged by the hugs she has received from her friends. She laughs and chats excitedly to her friends and classmates, but when she spots us her grin grows even larger. "You guys came!"

"You act like we don't come to every single performance," Nacy says, giving Brielle a tight squeeze.

"True. Plus it's not like I didn't hear Jun's loud--ow!" Brielle cries, rubbing the shoulder which Jun punched. Giving Brielle a short embrace, Jun attempts to shut Brielle up. "Shut up and just hug me."

"Did you guys enjoy the show?"

I nod. "Definitely. You were amazing."

Her arms wrap around me as she nuzzles her head into the crook of my shoulder. "Thank you. I'll get my bag so we can head home."

"Alright, we'll be right here," Nacy calls as Brielle scurries behind stage. Turning toward us, Nacy nods her head in approval. "You know that was actually pretty good."

"Well you know she basically casted the play. Her and the theater director are like this," I say crossing my fingers.

"You know Brielle, no room for a mediocre in a play," adds Jun.

I open my mouth, prepared to make a clever remark, when a voice causes me to stop.

"Excuse me." 

Looking to my right, I see Ryland as he tries to politely make his way through the crowd. His umber eyes latch onto mine. His face is hard, void of his usually happy grin, but all I can do is stare into his eyes. The stare seems to last forever, and somehow, not long enough. Just as quickly as his eyes find mine do they flicker away. Still, I watch as he squeezes his way past us. His figure swallowed up by the horde of people.