~Chapter 27~

I watch through the window as the grass fields and natural scenery blurs together like running watercolors. Reaching up to scratch my face, I hear the metal of my handcuffs clink together.  I look over to my right, glancing at the woman in the seat across from me. Her whispy blonde hair is cut close to her scalp, and there's little sign of her age except for the small wrinkles surrounding her lips. She looks toward me, her face stoic, before turning to look back at the window. There's just us, another woman, a guard, and a driver in this van. The blurring scenery slows down, and I watch as we pull up to a wired gate.

Sixteen years. That's the amount of time I'm facing. With good behavior maybe five and half, but I'd still have to be on parole for the remaining eleven. I'll be thirty two going on thirty three before I'm finally "free," but even then I really won't be. This arrest, this jail time, will follow me for the rest of my life.

The van pulls up to the jail, and we're quickly instructed to exit the vehicle. I squint as I step outside the van, and glance at the large stone building in front of me. Without hesitation a guard clings onto my arm and guides me inside the facility. The harsh yellow light reflects off the white walls, and I sigh, realizing that despite the fact I've transferred from high security prison to a regular correctional facility, I'm still in the same position--still surrounded by white walls. 

I and the two other women are led into a room and instructed to undress to search. I've already been searched before, but there's no stopping the embarrassment and feeling of vulnerability from being completely naked and touched everywhere, searched in every crevice. As I'm forced to bend over so the guard can search my buttocks, I bite my tongue trying to push down the emotions threatening to brim and boil over. I try and picture myself somewhere else, somewhere happier, where I'm free to live my life with the people I love--Jun, Brielle, Ryland, and Nacy.

"Put on your clothes," the guard instructs as she takes off her plastic gloves with a snap. Following her orders, I slip back into my ill-fitting underwear and khaki jumpsuit before following her out of the room. The lady gives me my allotted toiletries and a brief tour of the facility, showing me the television room, the library, the cafeteria and bathrooms. As we tour, I see other inmates living their lives and going about their daily routines, most unperturbed by my presence. Yet there are a couple that notice me and stare at me as though they're trying to figure out what I'm about. I quickly glance away, trying to avoid starting any unnecessary conflict.

The guard makes a sharp turn and enters a large room filled with many blue metals doors. "You'll be in Pod-A," she says heading up the stairs, "room 203." She stops in front of one of the blue doors and pulls it open. "You'll be sharing a room with Hipo."

I step into the doorway and peer into cell, where a bunk bed is pushed into the right corner. On the bottom bunk a black haired woman glances up from her book. She's stocky, and her cheeks are big, but her dark eyes are skeptical as she looks me over. "This is--" the guard begins, but she's quickly interrupted.

"Your name Robyn?" Hipo asks raising a brow. "I thought I recognized you." She closes her book and places it beside her. "My name's Diana. People call me Dee or Hipo. You can call me Dee if you want." 

I listen to the fluctuations of her voice hearing the slight accent in her voice. "Well, I'll leave you to get situated," the guard says  before sharply turning on her heels and walking away. Dee watches me. "Well are you going to come inside? This is your cell too now. You get the top bunk."

I step inside the cell, looking around. There's not much in here except the bed and two small nightstand-like tables. I place my things on the empty table top. Unsure of what to say or do next. I turn to Dee and cock my head. "How'd you know my name?"