Chapter 21

On a soccer field, Elena had nerves of steel. She knew what she was doing. It was the only place she ever felt 100% confident. Off a soccer field, Elena's confidence took a dip. And today it was in the ditch.

Anne Twist had never been anything but the kindest most lovely woman Elena had ever met. Elena had always been thankful to have a close relationship with her mother, but it was nice to have Anne there too. Elena always felt like seeing Anne meant everything would be ok.

But today, Elena felt like seeing Anne was going to make her throw up. The car ride up to Holmes Chapel had been silent save for the soft volume of music Elena had put on to calm herself down.

It hadn't helped.

The moment Harry's childhood home came into view, Elena felt a knot in her stomach and a lump in her throat.

Elena parked next to Anne's white Range Rover and waited. She stared up at the house. Was this a good idea? It seemed like it might not be. Anne was going to defend her son. It was natural.

Elena finally let out a deep sigh and opened her car door. She reached up to ring the doorbell, teetering nervously back and forth on her feet.

The door opened, Anne on the other side, staring back at Elena with tears in her eyes. But she smiled. The most radiant, happy to see her smile Elena had ever seen. It reminded her of the one Harry used to have plastered on his face every time she walked into a room.

Anne walked out, reaching her arms forward to draw Elena into them. Elena's nerves drained away when she felt the tightness of Anne's arms around her. She closed her eyes and let herself enjoy it.

Anne pulled away slowly,

"I'm so happy you're here."

"I'm not bothering you." Elena started, Anne quickly shook her head, "You don't have somewhere to be do you?"

Anne kept shaking her head,

"Even if I did, I would cancel it." She gestured into the house, "C'mon...let's talk."

Twenty minutes later, Elena was comfortably seated at Anne's kitchen table. The last time she'd sat here she'd been next to Harry while they told their mothers that Elena was pregnant. This time was much different.

Anne sat down next to Elena after making two mugs of coffee and setting one in front of Elena. She turned her knees towards Elena's and leaned forward to cover her hands,

"How are you feeling, Love?"

Elena nodded,

"I'm ok. There was a-"
"Pains. A bit of a scare. Harry told me. I told him not to worry. I'll tell you the same. I had the same thing when I was pregnant with him."

Elena felt the sting of tears in her nose. She dropped her eyes, suddenly feeling very ashamed for having cut this amazing woman out of a pregnancy she very much had a right to be a part of. Elena shook her head as she broke down,

"I'm so sorry." She said through shaky breaths.

Anne immediately drew Elena into her arms,

"Honey, there is nothing to be sorry for."

Elena cried in her arms for a bit. It felt good to be held by Anne. It wasn't fake or forced. Elena desperately needed the connection to Harry's side of this at the moment.

Anne pulled back. She lifted her fingers to dry Elena's tears,

"You are under so much stress, My Love. You take so much of the blame for things that aren't your fault."
Elena shook her head,