Chapter 20

Harry didn't sleep a wink and it had nothing to do with the fact that the chair he was given to sleep in was the most uncomfortable chair he'd ever been in.  Anytime Elena stirred or made the slightest noise Harry was up out of the chair in a shot making sure she was alright.  And he was obsessed with the sound of her heart monitor and the baby's.  If they deviated from their rhythm at all he had a mini heart attack.

Shockingly enough, he felt no resentment towards Elena for the fact that she fell asleep and stayed comfortably asleep.  She needed it.

When the sun finally lit up the room the next morning Harry was relieved they had all made it through the night without incident.  He heard Elena start to stir and he quickly pulled himself out of his mini depression.  He wiped his hand over his face and smiled when her eyes opened to focus on him,

"Morning."  He greeted, "Are you hungry?"

Elena shook her head,

"No.  Water would be nice though."

Harry reached over to grab the water glass he'd poured earlier and hand it to her.  He watched while she drank.  The color had returned to her face and the tension in her body was gone.  Whatever had happened to cause her pains was apparently over.  Harry felt like a complete idiot.  Whether or not he'd caused it he didn't know, but no doctor would ever be able to convince him otherwise.  The entire time he'd been awake had been spent monitoring Elena but also beating himself up.

Elena finished drinking.  She set the glass down,

"What time is it?"

"Almost nine.  Dr. Daniels just got in.  She came in earlier.  She was gonna get settled and then get back down here as soon as she could."

Elena was still a little off kilter from the ordeal, but mostly because as if someone had flipped a switch she and Harry seemed to let go of their issues.  She wasn't naive enough to believe that was the end of the problem, but at least they were being civil to each other. 

Harry cleared his throat,

"Len I-"

"Well look who's awake?"  Dr. Daniels voice broke into the room.

Harry quickly clapped his mouth shut as he turned towards her.  She smiled at Elena,

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright today.  A little tired."

Dr. Daniels nodded,

"I don't doubt it."  She took a breath, glancing between them before she turned to close the door. 

Harry and Elena looked between each other and then back at her.

Dr. Daniels turned back to them,

"Elena, your stress levels have been..."  She looked at Harry and then back at Elena, "You have been very stressed out.  And stress is not conducive to a problem free pregnancy."  She looked at Harry again, "Limiting your stress is very very important."

Elena nodded,

"I know.  I just...I will limit my stress I promise."

"We discussed that continuing to stay active was important.  Continuing to play soccer is important to you and I understand that, but that makes it even more imperative that you limit other stress factors."  She glanced between Harry and Elena again, "Am I understood?"
They both nodded. 

A warm smile spread over the doctor's face,

"You have been discharged then.  I'll see you at your next appointment."