“Well I'm not,” Eve said, starting to dance again.

            “Come on, Eve,” Chris said. “This is Jay we're talking about here, okay? He's not stupid enough to believe that if he killed us you would willingly give into him. At least I would think he's not that dumb. If he wants you as bad as he likes to act, then he would have to know that's not the way to get you.”

            “You know, for my best friend, sometimes I think you don't know me very well,” Eve replied with a shake of her head. “Let's be serious here. If Jay got you and Ian killed and then killed Tristan, all the important people in my life would be gone. An with you guys gone I would have no life left in me to put up any fights against him.”

            “Lie,” Chris said low enough for only her to hear. “Because if he killed us, the first thing your wolf will want to do is kill him. Especially after killing Tristan. And we both know that when you can't deal with something you let your wolf do it for you.”

            “Fair enough,” Eve said with a shrug and half smile, knowing Chris was right.

            Chris shook his head and laughed. “Back to my point then,” he said. “Don't let Jay's threat get to you; they're just empty words. I'm pretty sure he knows you would kill him in revenge and as much as he swears you are meant for him, I guarantee you his life is more important to him. Besides he can't kill Tristan anyway, it's against pack law.”

            “I doubt that would stop him,” Eve said stubbornly.

            “Do you even know what law I'm referring to?” Chris asked.

            “No killing or attacking humans unless in self defense,” Eve answered.

            Chris shook his head. “Not that one.” Eve stared at him blankly and he sighed. “No harm will come to a pack member's mate by another member.”

            “But he doesn't know Tristan is my mate,” Eve said lamely as Chris just stared at her. Eve's jaw dropped. “You want him to know?”

            “I'm not saying randomly go up to Jay and tell him,” Chris said. 'But if he ever even comes close to touching Tristan, then you tell him. Because whether Tristan is human or not he is your mate which means he can't be touched.”

            “Wishful thinking,” Eve mumbled. Chris shook his head and opened his mouth to continue his point when a scent caught his attention.

            “Travis,” Chris said to Eve, both of them stopping immediately.

            “What?” Eve asked, looking around. “Where?”

            “I don't know,” Chris replied. “His scent is here and its fresh.”

            “Then let's follow it,” Eve said and Chris nodded as they walked in the direction of his scent. Halfway there, Eve caught another familiar scent and looked in time to see the boy with dark hair and slumped shoulders slink off. “Chris, that's the guy from the bar.”

            “What?” Chris said, looking to where she pointed.

            “That's the guy whose scent was in Claire's yard,” Eve said.

            “He's going in the same direction as Travis's scent,” Chris responded.

            “Come on,” Eve said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him through the crowd. They watched their lead slip out of a side door before pushing out of it themselves two minutes later. The door opened out to a side alley of the club and was empty aside from a few boxes of empty bottles. Chris slipped out of Eve's hold and cut in front of her, leading them down the alley cautiously. The end of the alley gave way to the back of the club, stacked with more boxes and a bordering fence with its door now opened. The opening in the gate led to a deserted let with weeds and tall grass overtaking the entire area.