Chapter Fifteen

Merlin often took time to ponder about the introduction of his mother and father. He had believed as a child that the story would drawl out like every fairy tale. A damsel in distress, Hunith watched silently as people were being brutally punched and thrown back and forth. She was waiting for her knight in shining armor. Balinor would eventually disrupt the predicament and save Hunith without a single word, leaving the rest as history.

History.

That's all Merlin's mother ever was anymore.

The brunet wondered what it was like to have your name written down in the history books for all of the future to see; to have your name inscribed in papers instead of a carved stone. Would it be worth it to die without knowing of your fame in the future?

"There you are," Arthur's voice called out from a distance. The brunet heard the elder's footsteps patter until they sat side by side, staring at the stream that gurgled delicately for all to hear. Arthur gave a small smirk, picking up a twig. "It didn't take long to find you, considering your foot trail was more conspicuous among all the creatures I've hunted before."

Merlin let a smile drip from his expression. He had ran off without Arthur knowing, and that resolved with disastrous consequences. He would not let Arthur loose sight of him so easily from now on. The younger man clearly knew the art of being discrete, but he would allow the blond a pass. "How far is Camelot from here?" Merlin tried as conversation instead. After the episode last night, he would attempt in consuming comfort until things went back to normal.

"About three days." Absentmindedly twirling the twig in the collected dirt, he continued. "I know a place to stay on the way there. Better than sleeping on the cold ground."

Merlin nodded.

Arthur bit his lip at the brunet's reply, dropping the stick to the ground to edge closer. "We'll find him, Merlin. If you need time to be alone, I completely understand."

Feeling his cheeks heat, Merlin took a breath. "Thank you." A moment passed, and the emitted sound from the stream seemed to soften, the dimmed morning sky beginning to dissipate into bright blue.

He tried to recollect his thoughts. Optimism should be the main bloodstream flowing through him, not guilt. Merlin couldn't help but feel that small pull, telling him this was all his fault. Was his father right?

Reaching out to gently grasp onto Arthur's hand, he let the comfort ease his rebounding thoughts. He knew it clearly now. His father was wrong. Merlin could prove himself right in his accusations.

"I'm not okay, Arthur," he confessed quietly, as if afraid to become an open book to another. "I don't want to be alone, though." Looking up to gaze into the elder's eyes, Merlin realized he was an imbecile for assuming the worst. He felt ashamed for not putting enough trust in Arthur, for when he stared into the symmetrical, azure orbs in front of him, no malice was detected, but rather of affection and hope.

Giving a warm smile, Arthur tugged gently on the younger man's hand to bring him closer. "I think I know how to help with that."

___________________

"This is not what I imagined," Merlin stated, dumbfounded at the sight. "The tavern? I thought you would only down those foamy drink thingees."

"Mead," Arthur corrected. "And yes, this place provides not only mental comfort, but also physical comfort, incase you were wondering."

"I gathered such," came the younger man's feeble reply.

The blond frowned upon seeing the sight, pulling the brunet closer by a hand around the waist. "It'll be fine, I promise. Just don't make direct eye contact with them."