Chapter 22 - Paragraph

Comincia dall'inizio

"It was a poor choice of words. You are not... Easy. You are easygoing.  You are open and honest, and don't pretend to be mysterious or complicated. It's... Easy... To have a conversation with you. You also make everyone feel welcome and comfortable."

Hearing him describe me in that way warms my heart, but the way he reacted to my harshness has left me worried. Searching for an immediate way to make him feel better, I let my heart makes the decision for me and come closer to him. My hands open his arms and then make their way up his chest until they rest at the nape of his neck. He looks confused as I close the small distance and kiss him. His lips are soft and warm, and my head turns dizzy when I feel his hands on my hips.

"I- I will... See you... Friday," I say.

"Until Friday," he cups my face softly and gives me a light kiss that makes my knees go weak before we separate.

We give each other a wave and I walk towards my place. I initiated the kiss, but what I received from him messed something in my head and in my heart. I've never felt that way before, not for Damian or anyone I've been involved with in the past.

CHARLIE

This is a frustrating jumble of words. Complicated contracts should be banned. When my dad managed the café, an exchange of words and a handshake would seal a deal. Now I have this long ass document in front of me and I've been trying my best to understand what it says, but I haven't been able to go past the first paragraph in the past 30 minutes. How am I supposed to sign and commit to this when I don't know what it is about? Give me numbers, I can deal with those. Words are my torture.

After trying for ten more minutes, I give up and walk into the living room where I find Jess curled in an armchair watching TV.

"Jess, can you read this for me?" I hand her the papers. "It's the contract for the new drinks supplier. You know, the guy who came last week?"

Jess does a quick scan of the papers and gives them back to me. "One year, weekly delivery, we have to pay biweekly."

"Thanks," I pick a pen from the side table and sign the papers.

"When are you starting school Charlie?"

I freeze on the spot while picking an envelope for the documents. "How do you know about that?"

"I was looking for stamps and found the forms."

I feel so embarrassed for being careless and leaving those around. "Class starts tonight. Don't tell anybody about it."

"Charlie, there's nothing to be ashamed of. All your friends know you didn't finish school, so they can only be glad that you want to go back and get your diploma."

"When all your friends and your sister have college degrees, it is something to be ashamed of."

"You are talking bullshit now. Jaden doesn't have a college degree and is successful with his business. And yes, I have one, but it doesn't make me better than you. We are equal partners at the café and while you enjoy cooking, I love serving our customers. You should be proud we are doing well and a degree won't make things different if you don't have your heart and soul on what you do. That's why Dad is grateful that we took the business, because he knows that we love it."

"You always know what to say to make me feel better," I give her a kiss on the top of her head.

"That's what big sisters are for."

Soon enough it's time for me to leave and I pick a notebook and a pen. I can't really take notes, but I don't want to look out of place if I arrive empty handed. Throughout my life I've been successful at hiding the fact that I can barely read. When I was in school, I would just copy Brian and Jaden's work and they never asked me why, they assumed I was lazy. Greg never allowed me to copy from him, but tutored me on Math when I was in high school. That is why I'm good with numbers, and that's where my intelligence ends.

Dad had a stroke when I was 17 years old and I dropped out of school to substitute him as a cook in the café. I knew my way around that place and didn't hesitate to make the move because that also meant I never had to take a class again. My mom was against the idea, but my dad needed care and she couldn't work the restaurant by herself. She knew I was failing most of my classes and that my grades were so poor I wouldn't have been able to go to college, but she still kept hope.

I remember these hallways as well as the places we hung out around the school. A sign with an arrow points to a classroom and I hope it is where I need to be. Since I don't see much activity elsewhere and I see adults sitting already inside, I assume this is my final destination. Two pretty women come down the stairs of the first floor and I take my sweet time watching them before I enter the room. I flash them a flirty smile and they exchange glances.

Looking at the time, I get on with my purpose and take an empty seat towards the front. The rest of the chairs fill as I doodle on the edge of my notebook.

"Good evening. Glad you are all here. My name is Zoe Gibson and I will be your facilitator."

My mouth opens when I lift my gaze and see one of the girls from the hallway, the brunette one, standing in front of the class. She takes out a paper from a folder and reads the names from an attendance list. When she reads mine and I respond, she smirks. Something tells me that coming back to school wasn't such a good idea.

She asks a guy near the windows to start passing the books piled on a table nearby and on the board she writes a word, easy enough for me to understand and which makes the bile in my stomach rise to my throat.

Chapter 1

"Monroe? Can you read the first paragraph of chapter one?" Miss Gibson asks and my mouth goes dry.

I open the book on the page she asks and take a deep breath. I should be able to do this.

"I-t c-o, co m-e-s, it comes."

The classroom becomes so still you could hear a pin falling. I don't want to look around as the heat creeps up my neck. This was a stupid idea.

Without saying anything, I grab my notebook and hurry out of the classroom. What was I thinking? I'm a fool for believing I could catch up after so many years without a proper education. The grip on my arm makes me stop and I prepare to lift my fist at whoever is touching me.

"How dare you leave my class like that?" Miss Gibson's green eyes have a pissed look in them and I lower my arm.

"I made a mistake. This isn't for me. I will drop out."

"Drop out? No one drops out from my classes."

"Well you are about to get the first one."

"Just because you have difficulties reading, you shouldn't give up. I can't help you if you run out of my class," she says softly, the annoyance gone.

"Is it so obvious? Look Miss Gibson, I'm a lost cause. You can teach kids how to read, not men my age."

"You can call me Zoe. I like challenges and if you give me a chance I'm willing to spend extra time on you to practice. Can you stay after class for an extra hour?"

"You make a convincing case. What about the people in there? They will think I'm an idiot."

"Dramatic, yes. An idiot, I don't think so," she smirks. "Come back to class." 

Zoe places her hand on my arm and directs me to the room. I hope I've taken the right decision.