part sixteen

I pick my head up when I hear my bedroom door open. Corey was still fast asleep next to me, but I've been awake for almost half an hour, I just have had zero motivation to get up.

"Cloe," a voice calls out, and the sound of it makes me scramble to my feet as quickly as I can.

"Daddy!" I shout in a hushed voice so that I don't wake up my boyfriend. I run over to my dad, and he wraps me in a huge hug. I haven't seen him since the middle of September. It's been two months since I've gotten to hug my father, which if you've met me and know how much of a daddy's girl I am, that's a long time.

"Hey, my pretty girl, Cod, and Cami are on their way home right now. Joc and I picked up lunch if you want to wake up Corey."

I nod and tell him that we'll be out in a minute.

I plop myself next to my boyfriend's side of the bed. I run my fingers through his hair and call out his name.

He opens his eyes slightly and smiles when he sees me.

"Our niece is on the way, and there's lunch out in the kitchen. Both of which are very valid reasons for you to finally get up," I say while tugging at his arm as if I'm strong enough to pull him up.

"I'm getting up, Cloe, I'm getting up," Corey lets out a small chuckle and slowly sits up.

He holds his arms open and pats his lap, so of course, I sit there. I wrap my legs around his lower back and rest my head on his chest.

"You know I love you right?" He asks, and I nod.

"Okay good, I just wanted to remind you."

I smile and look up at him. "And I love you. Are you ready to go out now? I think my dad's excited to see you."

He pecks my lips and instead of replying, stands up while still holding me and sprints out to the kitchen.

I hold onto his arms and laugh into his chest. This is the happy boy I know and love. I hate seeing him sad, and that was the most abundant emotion he felt when we were at the hospital.

Corey sets me down and wraps his arm around my waist.

"Do you want me to make you a plate?" He asks.

I nod and sit down at the table and watch as my boyfriend and my dad greet each other with an energetic hug.

I love the relationship that they have. It makes my heart so happy.

Corey's missed my dad almost as much as I have, and as much as I hate to say it, I think my dad missed Corey even more than he missed Cody or me.

"You're here just in time for Thanksgiving Clay," Joc shouts from the living room. "Are you staying?"

"I am," my dad replies while simultaneously tossing my boyfriend a beer he had previously asked for. "I'll be here until Corey, Cody, Cami, Cloe and I all leave for Christmas in North Carolina with the Seagers."

Joc cheers and my dad laughs. My father's just as happy to be here as the boys are to have him. He says it reminds him of when he used to play and all he did was hang out with his teammates. Although I'm not sure when he did that because he had Cody and me when he was twenty. I think hanging with the guys makes him feel young, but he would never admit that.

Corey hands me my plate and sits down at the seat next to me. We engage in conversation while we eat, but everyone's main focus was towards the front door. It's going to open any minute now, and Cody's going to walk through with his new baby girl.

It hurts, knowing that I didn't get to walk through that front door with Calia, but it doesn't mean I'm any less excited for Cody. He's my best friend, so when he's happy, I'm happy. He's matured so much in the past nine months, and I don't think I've ever been more proud of him.

Most guys his age, especially guys in the career place that my brother's in, would have backed away from the situation quicker than they can sprint to first, but Cody faced the situation head-on, and now, he has a beautiful daughter to show for it.

Footsteps sound outside and the dogs rush to the door to greet Cody and Cami. I race the other boys to my brother, accepting the big hug he gives me.

"How are you and Corey doing?" He asks quietly.

"I think we were just emotional because we'd only gotten a few hours of sleep. I'm better now, and I'm pretty sure Corey is too. Just don't take it the wrong way if he leaves at any time and hermits himself in his room."

My brother looks down at me and kisses my forehead. "I understand if he does. He looks pretty happy with Cami right now though."

I turn my head to where Cody was pointing. Corey was holding Cami in his arms and making funny faces. She's a day old, but she already has a huge smile just like Cody's.

I wrap my arms around my brother and look up at him. I watch how fixated he is on Cami, even though she's less than fifteen feet from him.

"I'm proud of you Cods," I say.

He smiles and ruffles my hair. "That means the most coming from you Clo. She's not taking your spot you know."

I look up at him with confused eyes, "What do you mean?" I ask.

"She's my priority of course, but you're always going to be one of the most important girls in my life. You and Cami are the two that I'd do anything for."

His words bring tears to my eyes, and I hug him once more. Corey may be the love of my life, but it's my brother who's always been my soulmate.