part twelve

Three months have gone by since Corey and I lost Calia, and needless to say, they haven't been easy. We're still here though, and we've helped each other through it.

We weren't given much time to grieve. Corey was back to baseball by the next week, and I was back to my classes a couple of days after that.

The season ended a month ago, and the boys made it all the way to the World Series. It ended with a rough loss in game 7, but seeing the joy on Corey's face the whole time made me happier than I had been in a while.

Corey and I spent the first month of the offseason in North Carolina with his family, and we're in LA with Cody right now for a few months before heading to Arizona to stay with my dad until Spring Training.

It's been weird with everyone split up, but we're finally going to get to see them later today. Cody and Joc planned a celebration of life for Calia, and with the help of Ellen and Kelsey, Joc's new girlfriend, the whole thing looks gorgeous.

I was sitting at one of the picnic tables, coloring with Cali and watching while Corey, Clayton, Joc, and Cody play cornhole.

I look down at my hand, the ring Corey had given me the night before postseason started gleaming up at me. It wasn't an engagement ring, instead a thin silver band with small sapphires embedded around it.

Calia was born in September, meaning that sapphire was her birthstone.

"What are you drawing Aunty Cloe?"

I turn and look at the small blond girl. She had little pink bows on each of her pigtails and dirt across her cheeks from playing in the mud by the lake.

She moves her head in front of me and looks down at my paper. "Oh my gosh! Are you drawing a puppy?"

I smile and nod. "It's Henry."

She drops her jaw and puts her hands on her cheeks. "I want a puppy so bad!"

I laugh at how cute she is.

"No puppy for you anytime soon little miss," Clayton breaks in, picking up his daughter and slinging her onto his shoulders.

The rest of the guys are close behind. Corey sits next to me while Cody and Joc sit across.

"Everyone else should be here soon," Ellen says, joining us. She wraps her arm around Clayton's waist, and Kelsey slides past Cody and sits next to Joc.

"How have you been holding up Cloe?" Kelsey asks, her hand reaching across the table and latching onto my forearm.

I smile at her, and for today, it wasn't a fake one. My emotions are so on and off all the time. I have a lot of moments where I feel great, but then there are also times where I can't help but sulk over Calia.

"I'm doing okay. It gets easier every day."

"How was North Carolina? Did Corey's southern boy roots come out strong?" Kersh asks, and I giggle.

Corey laughs too and wraps his arms around me. I lean back onto his chest and reply, "It was really fun, and we're going back for Christmas I think. I finally got to meet Corey's brothers and his nieces and nephew too."

Clayton nods and smiles at me. I could tell everyone was trying to be cautious and contemplating what they wanted to say next, but that really stresses me out. I love that they care and that they're scared to say the wrong thing, but it makes me even more tense when I see how hesitant they all are.

"Ooh Mariana and Kike are here," Ellen announces, looking up from her phone.

I follow her, leaving my boyfriend behind and walking towards the parking lot to see two of my favorite people.