Chapter 8: The Village (Edited)

(Edited Version)

Instantly, five men drew their weapons out. They were all wearing heavy cloaks and I could see their grungy clothes underneath. I couldn't see their faces because they were wearing masks that covered half of their face. But the burly man was wearing a dented chest armor covered in dust and grease instead of the mask.

"By the way, lads," he said with a sneer, "you can 'hurt' the fox. Just don't kill her."

The five men sprang toward us while the man stood there, his sneer still on his face.

"Hmm . . . Bandits, I see," Ahri said to herself. And she sprang into action herself.

The first bandit tried to stab her with his two short swords, but she dodged them easily by rolling to her right. When she got up, the second bandit swung his battle axe at Ahri's throat, but she ducked. Then she twirled around, summoning the three blue flames around her.

The two flames hit the first man while the remaining one hit the second man. They both screamed when white flames started to burn their clothes. Then they started to roll on the ground in desperation, trying to get the fire extinguisher.

The third man tried to stab Ahri from the side with his dagger, but Ahri stepped back, the dagger missing her completely, and she backhanded the man on his face. He cried out in pain, clutching his nose in pain.

Ahri then threw a ball of the magical sphere at him. He flew backward upon impact, landing on the dirt ground, back first. He clutched his stomach and groaned in agony.

The fourth and fifth men hesitated, with their javelins still drawn.

Ahri twirled the sphere that flew back to her on her palm. She was about to throw it at one of the two men when she glanced back at me. I was, embarrassingly, still sitting on the ground, looking as if I drank alcohol: stuff that most of the parents in the world drinks. There was a thoughtful look on her face for a moment. Then she made the magical sphere disappear and threw a small and ordinary ball of magic at each of them.

They were knocked down when they hit one on the head and the other one on the shoulder.

The burly man was now standing there with his sneer gone. Instead, he had a frightened expression on his face.

"Now," Ahri said, staring in amusement at the man. "Scram!"

The man ran away into the deep depths of the forest, screaming in fear. The rest of the bandits got up as quickly as possible and fled.

"Well, that was fun," Ahri said, stretching her arms into the sky.

I quickly stood up from the ground, now not feeling dizzy.

"Ahri," I said, staring at her in awe. "I didn't know that you could do that!"

"I could do more, you know," Ahri said, laughing softly.

'More?' I thought.

Ahri approached the ground where one of the knocked-down bandits were lying a moment ago, and picked up the gray hooded cloak, which looked new. One of them must've accidentally left behind his cloak when fleeing in hurry.

She draped it around her body; covering her nine tails, and put on the hood; covering her fox ears. Then, she looked at me with a proud smile on her face. "Now, let's get away from this place, shall we?"

We sprinted away into the beautiful forest, heading toward the opposite direction of where the bandits fled.

*

Later, we entered the village that Ahri and I had set out for.

'So that's why she took the cloak,' I realized, noticing that all the people here were humans. 'She's trying to disguise herself to look human.'