Chapter 21

The President gave me a plane ticket to go back home that day. It was commercial, but any plane would do at that point. Once I got in the house, Susan of course was nosy and judgmental.

"Back so soon?" She asked with a grin as she opened the door. It was humiliating telling the girls that I was done with my job, and I could've even tell them the reason.

To them, I looked like a slacker. As if I couldn't handle the pressure of my position. I wanted to shout from the roof tops exactly the hell Jack put me through, but I also knew that'd be a death wish.

I was set to fully resign and clean out my desk the day they got back. I typed my resignation letter on my typewriter at home, and this time I finished it.

I began packing away the room I barely got a chance to fully unpack. It took me days, and finally the day that The President would be returning came. Tonight would be my last night as a White House employee, I was to resign tomorrow.

Suddenly, my beeper began to beep. At first, I figured it was a mistake but then I decided to check.

The phone downstairs began to ring, and I went down to get it. Susan already had the receiver to her ear.

"Some lady is asking for you." Susan said as she looked to me and held out the phone. "I know you don't like it when people answer for you." She said with an evil grin.

I snatched the phone receiver out of her hand, and held it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Is this Janis Decker?" The woman asked.

"Speaking." I answered.

"Please hold while I put you on with The President Of The United States, Mr. John F. Kennedy." She told me. My breath still left my body every time I heard that name, despite everything.

"Clover." His voice rang through the phone. "Clover, I need to see you."

"No." I answered vaguely, hoping no one was listening to my conversation.

"Please. I'm around the corner. Come out and see me. I need to speak to you, even if it's just for five minutes. An apology if you will." He said somberly.

"You can apologize over the phone." I whispered into it.

"A real man never apologizes over the phone." He answered.

I thought to myself for a moment, and then something in me decided to comply. I hung up the phone without saying a word, and then headed outside.

I walked to the nearest corner, and a black car was there. The door opened, and out came The President. I looked around to see if anyone was there to see him.

"Trust me, my men made sure no one was around." He smiled. "We have a car blocking the street at every intersection. No one is coming into this neighborhood."

"Someone can walk out of their house and see you." I told him.

"And it's their word against mine." He shrugged. "Besides, I wanted to risk everything to see you because I feel as though I treated you badly."

"You feel as though?" I rose an eyebrow.

"I know I did." He corrected himself. "As I do to a lot of women."

"You're not starting off this apology very well." I cocked my head to the side. He laughed.

"I usually don't have to do them at all." He admitted. "But it's important to me to let you know how much your presence in my life meant to me. Even if I didn't exactly show it."

"Parts of you showed it." I told him. "The rest of you didn't."

"And I'm sorry for that. I'm a powerful man, and I'm rich yes, but I'm a pauper when it comes to being sentimental." He said in a low voice. "But I'm willing to change that."

"For who exactly?" I asked him.

"I know I have a family." He stepped closer to me. "And I know I have responsibilities."

He placed both of his hands on my shoulders. "But Clover; when you left me on that golf course I couldn't see a future without you."

I pierced my lips together.

"I'm going against ethics— or God. Whatever you want to call it." He shook his head slowly, and I let out a laugh.

"All I want you to know is that I don't want you to leave, Janis. Resigning and going who knows where." He frowned. "Or worse, going to Dick."

I laughed, and my eyes welled up with tears.

"We don't have to have sex, and you don't have to give me anymore of your body. I just want to know you'll be in my life, Clover." He told me, then placed his hand on my cheek. "I care about you."

He leaned down and kissed me. It was a long kiss, and his men crowded around us just in case anyone was to walk up. It was magical, and with that I was back under his spell.

"So how about it? Will you stay with us?" He asked. I thought for a moment, I truly didn't know what other job I'd have. I looked up at him and nodded.

He smiled happily and brought me into a tight hug. "I'll call you tomorrow at your job, that you're keeping."

I laughed as he made that comment.

"You're the best, Clover." He kissed my forehead. "I've got to go, alright?"

"Okay." I nodded with a grin. He backed away, still looking at me. And then finally, he got in his car, shut the door and then chauffeur drove away.

I watched as his car made a turn at the corner, and suddenly cars that were parked on the street began following behind. I rose my eyebrows, his men were truly everywhere.

One Secret Service man stayed behind as he walked me back to my house, and then swiftly walked off before any of the girls could see him.

I got back in the house feeling like I was on Cloud 9. Finally, Jack was going to take me seriously.