Chapter 15

I closed my suitcase that sat on the surface of my bed. Then, I held the handle and stood in front of the mirror. I was in normal plane attire, a round powder blue pillbox hat, a cropped blazer and a stiff shift dress to match. My pantyhose were white, and I matched my white stripe kitten heels with a strap over.

My trapezoid shaped purse was flung over my free arm, while my other hand held my weighty suitcase. Both pagers given to me by Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy were in my purse.

As I stepped out of my bedroom, the ladies of the house clapped.

"I'm so proud of you!" Nancy smiles as she rubbed my arm. "This is a big deal."

"She seems to really like you! And you're obviously a necessity if you're going on vacation with them." Debbie smiled as she walked up to me.

"Yeah." Susan frowned. She walked up to us slowly. "You know what? I'm happy for you."

"Thanks Susan." I squinted at her.

"It's also great they're bringing you. I'm sure you speak their language." Susan smirked.

"Whose language?" Nancy asked.

"Jamaican. They speak some kind of jibberish there. An island girl turned yankee should be able to translate." Susan said, her sweet voice and smile not matching her words.

"I was born in America." I reminded her.

"And they speak English in Jamaica. My father who's an ambassador has stayed there." Debbie squinted.

"Yeah, they're under the British Kingdom, right?" Nancy asked and Debbie nodded.

"Queen Elizabeth is the ruler there. They use British currency and everything." Debbie explained. I smiled warmly at her, silently thanking her with my eyes for defending me.

"It's nice that an island filled with savages and slaves was able to come that far. I'm sure Queen Elizabeth treats them great. It's such a burden to shed knowledge on the ignorant." Susan nodded. "Right, Janis?"

I rolled my eyes and began walking down the steps. Debbie and Nancy came downstairs with me.

"Hey, hey." Nancy ran after me. "I really hope you enjoy yourself."

I placed my suitcase on the floor and gave her a hug. The Debbie enveloped me in a hug as well.

"Hey, good luck with being around JFK." Debbie grinned. My stomach dropped.

"Why? Why would you say that?" I asked frantically.

She shared a look of confusion with Nancy. "Isn't this the first time you're spending days and days around him?"

"Well she probably won't even see him that much there. He probably has his own presidential duties to tend to while on vacation." Nancy piped in. I giggled a laugh of relief.

"Right." I smiled and picked my suitcase off the floor. "I'll see you all when I get back."

A car was waiting for me as I walked out of the house. It drove me to the airport, and I began getting on with the other employees.

As I walked on the plane, I saw in awe. I'd never seen a private jet before. I was certain if it was someone's first time on a private aircraft, this would be the one you'd like to be on.

"Well look who it is

"Well look who it is." A voice said behind me. When I turned around, I was shocked.

"I'm in the travel program with the interns." Dick smiled. He opened his arms and I wrapped him in a hug. "I didn't know you were coming on this trip."

"I'm here for Mrs. Kennedy." I said as we stood there in each other's arms.

"Well, well, well. Look at how life works out." Dick smiled down at me as his thumb rubbed my waist. A person passing by flashed us a look, and Dick removed his arms from around me.

He cleared his throat. "Well, we'll be here to work so..."

"Right. Of course. I probably won't see you that much." I nodded.

"And we have all the time in the world to see each other once we get back..." Dick added as he pointed behind him.

"Yes, yes, that's very true." I said quietly, and then there was a silence between us.

"Everyone line up, the President and First Lady will be hoarding the plane soon." A young woman with a clipboard announced. As we lined up, someone shoved my shoulder.

I gave them a glare, wondering why they couldn't watch where they're going. But when I looked at the girl, I recognized her immediately.

Maggie.

She noticed that I recognized her, and her cheekbones lifted up with a smile on her face. She winked at me, the obviously drawn on and smudged beauty mark on her cheek showing prominently.

Finally, everyone got silent. He walked in, and once again he took the whole room's breath away. We all looked at him as he greeted each one of us. He would share a few words with each person, especially the employees he knew personally.

When he got to Maggie, he whispered something in her ear and she giggled. Jackie, who stood loyally beside her husband as he greeted each person, had an upset look on her face.

That was the first time I saw the First Lady scowl.

Finally, he stood in front of me, and his facial expression was of pure shock. His mouth fell open, as if his soul was leaving his body. He didn't even reach out to shake my hand immediately, for a good second or two he just stood there.

"Nice to see you again as well, Mr. Kennedy." I said awkwardly, trying to make it less obvious that he's surprised to see me. "I think the last time we met was on my first day of my internship."

"Of course." The President snapped out of his trance. Then, he held out his hand for me to shake it. "Good to see you again. What was your name again?"

Clover.

"Janis. Janis Decker." I answered as we shook hands. He shook my hand a little too long, and I decided to be the one to let go. Judging by the look on Mrs. Kennedy's face, she was definitely curious about why her husband reacted the way he did to me.

Although she didn't seem to suspect I had already slept with her husband multiple—

"You know, Janis is one of my assistants helping me with that secret project." Jackie smiled with her hands folded in front her. "She's a doll, and very diligent."

"I can see she's a doll." The President mumbled, and I began to notice the whole line of people were suddenly looking at us. He was spending way too much time with me.

"Well, it was great meeting you again, Mr. President. It's an honor to work for your wife." I nodded and he gave me a nod, but without a smile.

He began walking to the next person, but then swiftly turned back to me. "You know, I didn't know my wife was taking any of her assistants for that restoration on this trip."

"I know you said I should take a vacation this one week, but I insisted on bringing at least one." Jackie spoke up.

"Well why this one?" The President asked.

"Because that is who I felt would be the best fit to work while out of the country." Jackie answered in her soothing voice. "Is there a problem?"

The President looked around at all the people listening in on the conversation.

"No, not at all." Jack nodded. Then he walked to the next person.