Chapter Twenty Three [Nyx and Percy] - Annabeth the Traitor

Nyx

I have to admit, I didn't think that the little Chase blonde girl would come over to our side of the war. But she did. I was suspicious, but pleasantly surprised.

    But still, there was absolutely no way Chase would leave Perseus that easily. Something had to be up. Or maybe she loved her family too much and she was blinded by that love.

    Ugh, love. It was a gift to others but for me it was a true hater. Always getting in the way of things.

    I walked over to Annabeth's quarters in the guest house of Chaos's household. Most of the rooms were taken up now by demigods who had joined us by sunrise. I knocked on the door once. Twice. Why were mortals so slow?

    The door opened and Annabeth stood by the handle. She looked grim-faced and tired. Her expression told me she hadn't wanted to see anyone and had wanted to be left alone.

    She would have to make do.

    "Annabeth Chase," I greeted her.

    "Lady Nyx." It pleased me to hear the Lady part of that title. A little of my suspicion eased off. Even if she did turn out to be a traitor to our cause, I would still have my respect for her. "Under other circumstances, I would say that it's wonderful to see you. But these are not those other circumstances and, with no disrespect intended, I request that you leave me be for a little while longer. I've had a long and rather hard day."

    "Understandable, my child," I said pleasantly, walking in through the open door. Annabeth scowled slightly but didn't say anything. I liked this girl. "You have been through a lot today, and I assure you that I sympathize with you greatly. I will take no more than five or ten minutes of your time."

    "Very well, my Lady," Annabeth said, closing the door behind her and sitting on her bed.
"What is it you wanted to speak about?"

    I looked around her room. Just a bed and a table? That hardly seemed fair. Of course there was a window and a windowsill, but still.

    "Where in Hades is the bathroom?" I said aloud.

    "There's a communal one down the hall," Annabeth said, grimacing. I understood her reaction. Since she had shown me respect, I promised myself I would move her to a room in this complex with a private bathroom.

    "Why did you come here?" I asked.

    Annabeth frowned. "What do you mean?"

    "You switched sides too easily, darling. I am well familiar with your relationship with Chaos's son. What is your ulterior motive here? Tell me the truth and I'll go out of your room and not say a word until tomorrow."

    Annabeth looked shocked. And enraged. "You think this was easy, Lady? I think you don't understand what it's like to be mortal at all! I left the home I've had since I was seven, and it was all to save my family! I left almost everyone and everything I've ever known and it was all to save them. None of this was easy!"

    I was silent, analyzing what the girl had said in my head. If she had said it a completely different way, I wouldn't have believed her. She was a daughter of Athena, after all. She could be smart enough to trick me, if I let her. But the amount of emotion in her outburst made me believe her.

    "Oh, don't believe her, dear sister."

    Annabeth and I both looked towards the windowsill to see Percy sitting there, grinning like he had just committed the worlds biggest prank.

    "Percy," Annabeth whispered, paling.

    "Don't look surprised to see me, Annabeth, you knew I would come sooner or later," Percy said, rolling his eyes. He looked towards me and I was taken aback by the sheer light in his eyes. Not the bright kind of light, but that happiness and hope and joy. "I don't believe we've met before. Tartarus said we'd meet sooner or later. I guess it turned out to be later. I'm Perseus Jackson, but don't call me that. Percy will do just fine."