Chapter Fourteen [Percy] - Well This Is Awkward

I am probably one of the most stupid people alive.

I literally turned the handle, thinking that the door would be unlocked. Who would leave their apartment door unlocked, Percy?

Ouranos was just staring at me in confusion. I would have looked disgusted, myself.

Why am I going to a lady's apartment with this dude? He should've been wondering. I couldn't catch any of his thoughts.

Ah, right. The catching the thoughts thing. Tartarus had explained to me where I could draw my power from. Apparently there were many alternate worlds that crossed exactly with our own, one being a world that had been flooded with water. Uninhabited, just all water. My powers allowed me to manipulate the water in that world, and since our two realities were right on top of each other, things in the real world would get affected to. So if I made the water in that world grab at say, Lord Zeus, and throw him across the Earth, then the same thing would happen here except no one would see the water.

I couldn't see any water, either. But somehow I just knew it was there. Chaos had said that I might eventually be able to step into that world when my power was great enough.

"You should probably knock," Ouranos said patiently. I glared at him and made a show of slowly reaching over and knocking on the door.

"Come in!" came probably the most annoying voice I had ever heard. Something tried to surface in my memory, but I couldn't place it.

What did she mean, come in? The door was locked.

"The door is locked," I helpfully called out.

"Oopsy daisy, my mistakey." I glanced at Ouranos. This couldn't possibly be the woman we were looking for. "You can let yourselves in, nosies."

My mouth was literally open in disgust. What were we supposed to do? Break down the crazy lady's door?

I didn't even know if she was a lady.

Ouranos made a slight movement away from the door. He wasn't going to open it. I sighed and held out my hand in front of the door, feeling the waves that surrounded us. I pictured them flowing through the locking mechanism of the door, twisting and turning.

    I didn't even know which way to turn the door handle. But the waves seemed to... it was like they were alive. These weren't like the waters in our world, these were... powerful, alive... I had to fight to control them. Somehow I knew that if I didn't control then, they would make me do things I didn't want to do.

   Well that was a scary thought.

   The door clicked and I let the waves go, still feeling them brushing against me, flowing with me, as I pushed open the door. I breathed in and out, the sweat on my face dripping off my chin. That had felt... terrifying and amazing at the same time.

   We stepped through the door and came face to face with...

    "Oh, gods... Holy Hera, not you," I groaned.

    Nancy Bobofit.

    "Prissy!" Nancy cackled, looking absolutely demented. "It's you! I thought I'd never see you again!"

    "I hoped I'd never see you again," I muttered under my breath. Her eyes widened in mock hurt.

    "She can't be her," Ouranos said. "She can't be the one who... brings the Mist into our world. She can't be the Mist."

    Did he have to say all of our plan out loud? I wished he'd have stayed in the sky. I chose to ignore him and looked at Nancy, desperately wanting to be done with her.