57- Dalta and Otis: Help

Dalta

Otis slowly parked the car in front of my house. I sighed and sat up, placing my numb legs on the floor. I turned to him biting the corner of my lip. He sighed staring at the wheel. "Dalta, we need to talk before you go."

"I'm sorry."

He looked at me. "About?"

"Not talking to you the entire ride here. You must've felt lonely."

"You were sleeping."

I blinked and turned away. "Not for all of it."

"It's okay...I had the radio so."

I snickered and looked at him. "Okay...What do you wanna talk about? Our plans for tomorrow? I can take the money back-"

"You never asked me about the scar under my eye."

I stared at it. "...You had a fight with Todd."

His brows lifted.

"I texted Penny from your phone."

"Did she...did she tell you why we fought?"

"He wanted you to go home...I think that's what I read-"

"It was worse than a little fight."

"...What do you mean..."

Otis stared at the wheel. "I'm hoping we don't," he whispered.

My brows arched. "Why would we fight?"

He ignored me.

"Otis-"

"I beat Todd really badly."

I held my breath. "Why?"

Otis shook his head. "Because he likes you."

I sat back and turned away. "And you got jealous-"

"I got angry. He was... He's good for you, Dalta. He's better for you than I am."

I snickered. "Otis, Todd and I just had a weird moment. I don't like Todd that way-"

"Maybe not right now. But when you're alone with him...," Otis sighed. "I know deep down that you're better for each other-"

"Stop talking," I said, shaking my head. Was he serious? After everything we'd been through together. After everything he said...

"Dalta, if you would just understand-"

"I don't. I can't... I just can't understand why you would think that I'm not good for you after...after you begged me to be with you." I felt tear stinging my eyes. I quickly squeezed my eyes shut. "No," I shouted, shaking my head frantically. "I'm not doing that anymore."

"Doing what?"

"Crying... It's weak."

Otis scoffed. "See? Do you see why I don't want you to be with me? Because of that."

"What? That I'm not acting like a sissy anymore-"

"No! That you're acting like me! You've turned into me and I can't deal with that!"

I stared at Otis. There were tears in his eyes.

"I can't change for the better with you becoming worse right next to me. It doesn't work that way." He shook his head, then turned away. He ran his hand over his braids if he was running his fingers through his hair like he always did.

I pouted. "We said we would get help."

"I know...but we can't get help together."

I turned away feeling anger fill my mind. "Fine."