vyf

Donghyuck sighed as Mark finally fell asleep. He stood up from the side of the bed and checked the time. It was past 11 pm. He began walking out, but caught sight of a familiar folder he hadn't looked through in a few months. With a lazy, tired hand, he pulled the folder out of its place in the storage area below Mark's dresser.

He seated himself on his bed and opened the large brown folder. He pulled out the large white page. It was the second updated profile of Mark after Changbin died. The boy's second caretaker had passed away after being shot 4 times in his torso. Mark probably forgot all about him. Donghyuck, however, could never forget Changbin. They become true friends, despite Changbin being older.

He read over the profile a few times. He never forgot the policy. Contained in the folder we're some photos of Mark as a child with his once completed family. Donghyuck felt his heart break to pieces at the sight of Alice, Mark's sister who had died in the accident.

"Dongie?"

Donghyuck put the folder down. "Mark. You're supposed to be asleep."

"I don't know why I can't sleep," Mark mumbled as he stopped beside him. "What's that?"

Donghyuck lifted the folder to show it to the older. "Your, uh... your clinic profile."

Mark frowned, crouching down beside the other. "Can I see?"

Donghyuck looked down. "If you really want to, then okay." He gave the page to Mark and he read the page carefully.

"Accident?"

Donghyuck nodded. "You were in a car accident."

"Did… did Alice die in the accident?" Mark asked softly.

Donghyuck nodded. "Yeah."

"Who is Changbin?" Mark asked.

"He was your second caretaker. He was accidentally involved in a gun shooting and got shot 4 times. We went to his funeral together, but I knew you wouldn't remember."

Mark looked up. "Where are my mother and father?"

"They're in Seoul."

"So this is why we live here?" Mark asked, to which Donghyuck nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I have told you. I told you many times before," the other replied with a heavy tone. "But you keep forgetting. Every time I told you, the very next day, you would forget."

Mark looked down, tears clearly forming in his eyes. "I'm sorry for forgetting everything…"

Donghyuck stood up from the wooden floor and hugged Mark tightly. "It's not your fault. You have no reason to blame yourself for anything."

Mark sniffled, indicating that he was crying. "I don't do anything to help you..."

"It's fine. I enjoy taking care of you anyways," Donghyuck whispered. "It's time to sleep now, Mark. It's very late."

"Can you sleep in my bed tonight, please? I want to hold you," Mark mumbled. Donghyuck nodded and put the folder away. He opened Mark's duvet and got in beside Mark. The older's arms wrapped around Donghyuck's waist.

"You like holding me like this, don't you?" Donghyuck smiled.

Mark nodded. "It makes me feel like I'm closer to you." After some silence, Mark held him tighter. "I love you, Dongie."

"I love you too, Mark."

"Okay, I need you to remember — Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops and orange juice," Donghyuck said. "Repeat it to me."

"Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops and orange juice," Mark repeated. He mumbled it to himself as they reached the supermarket.

"I'll get some milk too," Donghyuck mumbled. They walked into the convenience store and Donghyuck picked up a basket. "What do we need to buy, Mark?"

"Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops and… and… orange juice!" Mark grinned brightly. "I remembered!"

Donghyuck clapped. "That's very good, Mark. High five."

Mark placed his palm to Donghyuck's quickly. Donghyuck enjoyed seeing Mark happy because he remembered things. They walked into the supermarket together while holding hands.

Mark smiled. "I love you, Dongie."

"I love you too, Markie," Donghyuck replied, rubbing Mark's hand with his thumb. They went to the cereal aisle and Mark got the cereals, as he was proud that he had remembered.

"You're getting better, huh?" Donghyuck asked with a proud smile.

Mark nodded excitedly. "I'm getting better at remembering."

"But you still have to take medicine," Donghyuck added. "They're helping you get better, trust me. You trust me — right, Mark?"

Mark nodded and Donghyuck internally sighed. Loving someone like Mark was detrimental to Donghyuck's ability to ever love someone else. He was difficult to cherish and love, but he would never stop. No matter how difficult it became, Donghyuck would never stop looking at Mark with the most love he could.

Losing him would hurt in the worst way possible.

"Alice said hello."

Donghyuck looked over at Mark, a frown on his face. "What?"

"Apple Jacks, two and a half sugars, and..."

Donghyuck took Mark's wrist in his own hand. "Mark, you said something about Alice. What's wrong?"

"Who is Alice? W-who are you? Let me go—!"

"Mark, it's me! Look at me!" Donghyuck exclaimed. Eyes fell on them, clearly wondering what was going on. With a nervous glance, Donghyuck took Mark's hand and pulled him off to an empty aisle, deciding it was best to talk where there was no one. "Hey, are you okay? Do you want to talk to Dr Han?"

Mark frantically shook his head. "N-No, the p-pills will take you away. Alice is already gone. Changbin is gone. If I get better, then you'll leave me..."

"Mark, I'll always be here," Donghyuck told him, his tone soft and gentle to help the older relax. "I'll make sure you'll always be by my side. Just... never forget me, okay?"

Mark shakily nodded and Donghyuck realised that he had finally relaxed. He still felt heavy after Mark's sudden panic attack. He sighed to himself, wondering if they'd be okay for the trip home.

Mark was humming a tune to himself before he smiled to himself. "Minyong, do you like that song?"

Maybe it was time to visit Dr Han again.

[ why tf does the port ormos theme sound so amazing wtf hoyoverse, thank u for my next favourite theme after windblume festival ]