tien

The leaves crunched beneath their feet, the warmth of their hands being shared in order to keep themselves warm amongst the chilly temperature of autumn. Mark had taken the initiative and had pulled Donghyuck's hand into his pocket to keep him warm. Albeit a small motion, Donghyuck did get much warmer.

"Three years..."

Donghyuck hummed, looking over at the older. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Csn I still call you Dongie?"

"You're more than welcome."

Mark smiled, his walking slowing down as they reached their favourite spot underneath the big tree on top of the hill. The hill that had formed so many forgotten memories. Mark couldn't remember everything he had already forgotten — including a lot of special moments he had with Donghyuck.

It was an unfortunate situation, really — but one thing Mark forced himself to never ever forget was the feeling he felt when he looked into Donghyuck's eyes and fell in love. He had forgotten the feeling of their first kiss, the moment he first confessed his love, and even the moments that first formed their relationship.

But he never forgot that he loved him in the first place.

"Do you remember me?" Mark asked, earning a surprised look from the other. "I have to ask, because... I don't know if you forgot me and... fell in love with someone else while I was gone."

"I would never love anyone other than you," Donghyuck answered immediately. "You were the one. You were always the one. It felt wrong to ever let you go. I just .. hope that... you never forgot me."

"I have to be honest and say that I did," Mark answered with an awkward laugh. "I... forgot a lot. But with the recovery therapy and mental training, I got familiar with some memories. Seeing you in photos and videos we took together made me fall in love all over again. You occupied my mind. I still have some minor memory issues, but... I'll never forget you, Dongie."

Tears joined the pair as they glanced at each other with the deepest regard. They were ever so truly in love. Mark pressed his lips together and Donghyuck smiled. "Did you dream of me?"

"I thought of you. I had you in my mind on purpose."

Donghyuck loved those words.

There was a moment of silence before Mark pulled Donghyuck forward slightly, tilting his head to prepare for their next action. Donghyuck immediately began sweating, wondering if he was prepared at all. Amidst his panic, Mark gently pressed their lips together. Stillness followed before Donghyuck finally kissed back, a wave of emotion flowing over them.

Their lips joined for the first time in three years, and all they could feel was the utmost joy, love, happiness and warmth. They had missed one another for so long, and kissing each other for the first time in forever just felt right.

Mark was the first to pull away, his gaze falling to Donghyuck's dazed eyes. He smiled and the younger looked away, a sweet blush settling on his cheeks. "Uhm..."

"That was nice," Mark commented, laughing slightly when Donghyuck scoffed. "To be honest, I don't know what will happen after this. I'm... nervous. I want to stay with you, but I don't want you to become my caretaker all over again. I want to be... y-your boyfriend this time. I can't get a job, though, so I don't know how anything will work out if I stay—"

"We can figure out everything over this week you're here, okay?" Donghyuck hummed, leaning to put his head on Mark's shoulder. "The only thing that matters is that you're here. It's all I want. It's all I wanted for the longest time. So please... just... stay here for a little while longer..."

Mark nodded. "I'll stay here as for long as I can."

So he stayed forever.

In each other's arms is where they stayed, and they lived in each other's minds.

They made new memories, discarded some, and hoped to God that they could forget others.

Of course, Mark didn't have very long, given the state and nature of his body and mind. He didn't last very long. But he lasted long enough for Donghyuck to express his love and gratitude for Mark's existence. It was a long time, yes — but not long enough.

Mark and Donghyuck lived together until their mid thirties before Mark finally left the world, leaving behind an assortment of memories before Donghyuck to remember. He could never truly forget the other, because he was simply that difficult to forget.

Didn't mean he didn't miss him, though.

Donghyuck would never forget Mark.

Ever.

Sometimes keeping the one you love by your side and holding onto their memories is enough to show you love them. Making memories is important too.

Donghyuck was satisfied with the memories he had made with Mark. There was a lot they did together, a lot they didn't do together, and a lot they hoped to do together. But there wasn't enough time to do it all. But that, in a sense, was okay. All Donghyuck needed was some time.

He got all of Mark's time.

If he could do one more thing, however — he would tell Mark how much he loved him one more time, and that he'd never, ever forget him.

Ever.

/ end.