twee

Donghyuck was thankful that Mark was more compliant at night. Jaemin, Renjun and Jeno had already gone to their room. Chenle and Jisung were already asleep, but Donghyuck was still awake because Mark hadn't fallen asleep yet. It was a nightly routine, however, and being with Mark was something he had no choice but to do.

"Donghuckie."

"Yes, Mark?"

"Can I have cereal?"

Mark sat on the kitchen counter, looking up at the clock above the entrance of the kitchen. He imitated the ticking sound, swinging his legs back and forth to the beat of the soft ticking sound.

"11 pm," Mark mumbled.

"What kind of cereal, Mark?"

Mark looked at him, a frown adorning his expression. "Cereal?"

Donghuck nodded. "You wanted cereal, Mark."

"Apple Jacks," Mark replied, looking at the clock again. "4 sugar teaspoons. Half a bowl. One and a half glasses of lukewarm milk."

"Like always," Donghyuck smiled. "You remembered."

Mark smiled brightly as he nodded. "I remembered."

"I'm proud of you," Donghyuck smiled as he poured milk into the jug and put it in a mug to heat up in the microwave.

"Does the medication help me remember stuff?" Mark asked. He sounded genuinely curious, so Donghyuck gave him a genuine answer.

"Uhm — yeah, they help you remember," the younger nodded.

"Do you remember what I forgot?" Mark asked softly. Donghyuck hummed and opened the microwave before the timer went off. He poured the milk into the bowl of cereal and got a spoon from the cutlery stand on the counter.

"I don't really remember either. But maybe you'll remember — right?"

Donghyuck held the bowl of cereal out to Mark. The older took it and poked it with the spoon a couple of times.

"Maybe. Thanks for the cereal."

Donghyuck watched as Mark couldn't take his eyes away from the window. He stepped to the male and poked his shoulder. "Mark. You're zoning out again," he commented.

"Tree." Mark pointed out, looking up at the younger. "I want to go. Can we go? Please?"

"No, we have to stay inside today," Donghyuck told him with a shake of his head. "The weather is a bit too cold for you today."

Mark crossed his arms in an upset manner. "I want to go outside. It's better outside. I like being outside."

"Mark, no. You can't go outside, it's bad outside," Donghyuck replied. "You can go outside when the weather gets better, okay?" Mark ignored him, walking past him to leave the room. Donghyuck looked at him with a frown. "Mark?"

He looked back at him. "Huh?"

Donghyuck heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "Come, you need to take a nap. Let's go get your medicine."

"Medicine?" Mark frowned. He suddenly widened his eyes in shock. "Am I sick?"

Donghyuck nodded. "Yes, you are. And if you want to get better, you have to take the medicine."

Mark shook his head. "I don't like medicine. They make me sleepy. And they take you away. I don't want it to take you away." He looked down at his feet. "It doesn't want me to love you."

Donghyuck bit his lips together almost nervously. "It's not stopping you from loving me — it's only stopping me."

Mark suddenly hugged him. "You're my best friend. Can I have cereal?"

"But it's 3 in the afternoon — why do you want cereal?" Donghyuck frowned. Mark grinned and dragged him to the kitchen.

"Apple Jacks!"

Donghyuck ended up eating cereal with Mark in front of the TV while they watched cartoons. Mark seemed genuinely intrigued by the childish cartoon playing on the TV, but Donghyuck knew he was making excuses to avoid the inevitable. "Mark, you need to take your medication now," the younger piped up, earning the other's attention.

Mark shook his head, not even looking at the other. "Nope, I'm fine."

"It's not an option."

Mark shook his head. "No. I don't want to."

Donghyuck sighed in exasperation. "Mark, come on. It'll be quick. I'll sleep beside you if get sleepy, okay?"

Mark sighed and put his cereal bowl down. "Fine. But I don't like the big ones. They're annoying."

Donghyuck ruffled his hair gently. "Come on, it'll take a small amount of time."

Mark stood up and stared out the window. Donghyuck took his arm gently and pulled him to the kitchen.

"Where are we going?" Mark asked.

"To the kitchen. We're gonna take medication," Donghyuck said.

"Is it time?"

Donghyuck nodded. "Yes, it is. Come on."

"Wait, I don't want to! I don't like medicine!" Mark yelled as he tried to break from Donghyuck's grip.

"But you just said that you'd take it," Donghyuck said, crossing his arms. Mark shook his head in a panicked manner.

"I don't want to, I don't like it," he mumbled. "I don't want to. I hate it. It makes me sleepy, a-and… and… huh?"

Donghyuck fell silent for a moment. "Come with me to the kitchen, we have medication to take."

Mark followed Donghyuck with a confused look. Donghyuck knew that they could do nothing about Mark's unfortunate goldfish memory, but he knew the medication helped with other circumstances. He had told the doctors about the fact that Mark sometimes wouldn't take medication unless Donghyuck himself took the medication as an example, so he takes placebo pills when Mark feels disobedient.

"Dongie, why do I take medication?"

Donghyuck looked at Mark as the boy swallowed the pill. "It helps you remember stuff."

"What am I supposed to remember?" Mark asked.

"Everything."

Mark looked down, suddenly deep in thought. "Where are my parents?"

Donghyuck's smile suddenly fell and he turned to face the older. "Mark—"

"I remember. I haven't seen them in a while. Where are they?"

He had no idea how to answer. "Mark, it's good that you're remembering. Do you think you can tell Dr Han about… what you're remembering? Keep it in your head. Like the cereal."

Mark nodded. "I'll remember."

Donghyuck smiled. "That's good. Come, I'll ask Jisung's grandpa to drive us to the doctor."

Mark shook his head. "I don't like doctors."

Donghyuck took his hand. "Come. I'll dress you."

"Can I wear my onesie?"

Donghyuck chuckled. "Yes, you can wear your onesie. I'll get it — you go tell Renjun that we're going to Dr Han."

Mark nodded excitedly, quickly turning around to run to the other rooms in search of Renjun. Donghyuck laughed a bit as he ran, looking absolutely adorable. While he wasn't supposed to leave Mark unattended at any time, he took the quick minute he had to himself to prepare anything needed for the doctor's office.