sewe

The morning was silent. Mark was unaware of everything that had happened, forgetting the ordeals from the day before entirely. Donghyuck felt miserable. It was his final day with Mark, and thereafter he'd probably receive a new patient to care for. Mark was munching on his cereal, humming a tune to himself as always.

"Mark?"

"Hm?"

Donghyuck stayed silent, looking at the older boy. Mark's big, confused eyes hurt him so much. Donghyuck pressed out a smile. "You want to, uhm... go to the tree? It'd your last day here, so..."

"Last day?" Mark asked, frowning. "Am I leaving?"

"Yes," Donghyuck nodded. "Your parents are coming to pick you up tomorrow. Tonight is your last night here. You'll finally get better, hm? That's great news, isn't it?"

"Am I... sick?"

Donghyuck pressed his lips together, letting out a slow nod. "Y-yeah, I guess. You are. Hey, because you're sick, let's take medicine to get better, huh?"

"No, I don't like medicine. Minyong threw them down the toilet...—"

"... what?"

Mark looked up at the younger, sensing he had done something wrong. "M-medicine is bad for you, he said... so I listened to him..."

"Mark, you're not supposed to throw your medication away!" Donghyuck yelled. "Why did Minyong tell you to do that?!"

"Because if I take my medicine then I have to leave!" Mark yelled back. "I don't want to leave you, Donghyuckie. I'm happy here."

Donghyuck pressed out a weak smile, his eyes growing more glossy as they filled with tears. "You're not well, Mark. I'll... I'll visit you, okay? I'll do my best to see you when you get better."

"Why are you crying? Did something bad happen?"

Donghyuck quickly looked away, wiping his eyes as he laughed nervously. "Eat your breakfast. We can go to the tree after this, okay?"

"Okay!"

Donghyuck reached for his phone to quickly message Dr Han about the medication. After a few seconds, he hadn't gotten a response yet, so he pocketed his phone and went toward their room to retrieve their scarves.

"I'm done!"

Donghyuck watched as Mark tried to balance himself on the edge of the path, trying not to step on the green grass. The large tree that signified the growth of their relationship together had grown barren due to the winter that had passed. It should grow their leaves back soon — Donghyuck hoped.

"There was an accident."

Donghyuck stopped walking and so did Mark. The older didn't turn to face him, keeping his eyes on the tree ahead.

"Yes, there was," Donghyuck affirmed. "Keep going. What do you remember?"

Mark was quiet for a bit, clearly deep in thought. "... Alice. She was crying. Blood... uhm... the windshield... went through her... what...? Torso. Lots of blood."

Donghyuck felt queasy. It wasn't the best memory for Mark to suddenly remember. "What about you?"

"I couldn't feel anything..." Mark suddenly felt silent. He continued walking and Donghyuck meticulously followed. "Dongie, I love you."

"If you love me, will you get better for me?"

"I will do anything for you."

"That's very sweet of you, Mark."

Mark smiled softly. "If Dongie wants me to get better, then I'll do it."

Donghyuck held his hand out, and with elated excitement, Mark grabbed it and intertwined their fingers. Donghyuck continued their walk to the large tree, relieved to find the area empty. Mark sat just below the trunk, allowing his body to collapse on the green grass.

Donghyuck sat beside him, lying down beside the boy. Mark turned to him, a smile on his face. "Apple Jacks."

"I can tell you're getting a bit better," Donghyuck said softly. "But... don't listen to Minyong from now on, okay? He's not a good person. If he says to do something, tell him I'd be upset if you did that."

Mark nodded, but Donghyuck knew he'd have to repeat this eventually. Mark suddenly sat up, sitting cross-legged. He tugged on the younger's wrist to make him sit up as well. "You know I love you — right?"

Donghyuck raised an eyebrow before nodding. "Yes... you've said it multiple times."

"So... can I kiss you?"

Donghyuck fell silent, looking down at his lap. He bit his lips together, clenching his fists as he avoided the other's eyes. It seems Mark had forgotten. He eventually looked up, nodding faintly with teary eyes. Mark grew confused and Donghyuck simply laughed it off. "No, it's nothing, don't worry. I'm just, uhm... happy that you, uh... want to do this."

Mark was quiet. "We did this before... haven't we?"

"Of course we've kissed, Mark," Donghyuck said quickly. "But it's fine. It's not your daunt you keep forgetting. At least you remember that you... that you love me, huh?"

"I'll never forget how I feel for you."

Donghyuck smiled, his tears finally dripping down his cheeks. Mark quickly grabbed his face, wiping his tears away with his thumbs. With a very subtle nod, Mark looked into Donghyuck's glossy eyes before leaning forward and gently pressing their lips together.

The kiss was warm and sweet, gentle and soft — as if Mark was afraid of breaking Donghyuck. The gentleness of it all was much appreciated by the younger, because he didn't want anything deep or passionate. He held Mark's wrist in an attempt to gather his mental clarity and stay calm so that he didn't have a breakdown.

Donghyuck felt horrible. After taking care of and loving Mark for two years, they were being pulled apart. There was no way Donghyuck would be able to see him after he leaves. He hadn't been to Seoul in over a decade. He truly loved Mark, but no matter how much he did, he wouldn't be able to stay by his side forever.

Mark pulled away from the gentle kiss. Even if he had forgotten, the sensation felt familiar. Donghyuck was still crying, and Mark couldn't figure out why. He had already forgotten. All he could do was hug him, holding him close as he tried to hold onto the memory of them together. He had tried so hard to never forget Donghyuck — yet it was inevitable.

"I love you, Mark."

"I... I love you too, Donghyuck."

[ sorry for the late update, i got my period and now i'm having depressive gender dysphoria :(( please bear with me <3 ]