ses

"It's time to let Mark go."

Donghyuck looked at Dr Han with confused eyes, his grip on Mark's hand faltering. "W-what? Let go? Why?"

Dr Han sighed, taking his phone out and unlocking it, showing Donghyuck a thread of texts between himself and someone else. "This is Mark's mother. She wants him back in Seoul. They've stated that they'll find a caretaker much close by so that Mark can be at home."

"But I'm Mark's caretaker! He needs me!" Donghyuck grew more frustrated, only to realise he was only shouting at the doctor. He leaned back in his seat, his expression going helpless. "Mark and I... have a bond, you know? He'll be helpless without me."

"What's happening?" Mark asked, looking between the two. "Why did we see Dr Han today?"

Dr Han helplessly sighed. "You're going to Seoul again, Mark."

Mark's expression grew brighter as he grabbed Donghyuck's hand tighter. "A road trip! You're coming with - right, Dongie?"

Donghyuck felt horrible. He slowly let go of Mark's hand, shaking his head. "No. I work here. You'll... see your family again. You wanted to go back, didn't you?"

Mark's expression had fallen already as he looked down. "Not without you..."

"They've also decided to get in contact with a licenced psychiatrist. He is officially on the waiting list for neurosurgery, which will hopefully end this two-year-long journey we've been going through together."

Donghyuck pressed his lips together. He wanted to scream, yell and argue so desperately, but he couldn't. Mark wasn't his. He was simply his caretaker, and there'll always be another one after him. His body slumped as he gave up, unable to argue any further. Dr Han held a sympathetic smile on his face.

"Donghyuck, you must understand that it's for the best," he told the younger boy. "Mark is simply our patient. When he recovers, he'll no longer be a patient."

"I don't want him to leave us..." Donghyuck uttered. "I want to continue caring for him. I want to take care of him through his surgery and after. He promised to never forget me..."

"I'm sure he won't," Dr Han nodded, somehow being affected by how upset Donghyuck had become. "Mark, buddy. You good?"

Mark looked up at the doctor, a sudden smile on his face. "Oh. Hello, Doctor Han."

"Donghyuck tells me that you don't like taking your medication," the doctor hummed, crossing his arms and resting them on his desk. "Is there something wrong with them? We can change them if they're bothering you."

Mark shook his head. "No, it's just... Dongie said the pills won't let me love him. I don't understand why..."

"You remembered that?" Donghyuck asked, his eyes widened. "I told you that so long ago... why would you remember that?"

"Because I love Donghyuck and you love Mark," the boy said quickly. "You said you'd care for me. So I won't take the pills if they're stopping that."

Dr Han raised an eyebrow. "How did you come to that conclusion, if I may ask?"

"They're the road to his recovery, and once he recovers, then... I lose my job."

Mark hummed in confusion. "Huh? Job? What job?"

"Mark, I'm your caretaker."

The older looked at him in confusion. He then looked at Dr Han as well, his face contorting into one of slight fear. "W-who are you? Where's Minyong?"

"Mark, he's not real-"

"Alice told me it's time to go home." Mark suddenly stood up and bowed to the doctor. After a moment of confusion, Donghyuck rushed to grab Mark's wrist. "H-hey, let me go! I need to go h-"

"Alice is dead, Mark!" Donghyuck yelled, his grip growing tighter. "She's no longer here. Stop talking about her."

"D-don't say that! She's my s-sister! Alice wants me at h...-!" He stopped, sobbing as he broke down in tears. Donghyuck's harsh expression grew soft in a split second and he pulled the other into a hug. Mark cried on his shoulder, his grip awkwardly clinging onto his hoodie.

"You're not well, Mark," Donghyuck muttered softly. "I need to take care of you. You're my friend and I love you. Minyong isn't your friend - he told me he doesn't like you."

Mark was quiet. "I know he's not real... b-but please stay with me..."

"You're just his caretaker, this was bound to happen."

Jisung had his arms crossed as he watched Donghyuck contemplate everything that had happened so far. "Mark is... fragile. He's always just been my patient. I wasn't meant to become his friend. I was never really his friend. Every day I had to remind him of who I am."

"Sounds painful."

"It was," Donghyuck heaved a sigh, slouching against the wall. His gaze fell over to the sleeping boy, peacefully resting his head against the pillow. "He means a lot to me. I want the best for him. If sending him to someone better than me is for the best, then so be it."

Jisung raised an eyebrow. "But... don't you love him?"

"Of course I love him," Donghyuck replied weakly. "I love him so damn much. But I want him to get better. I could always visit him if he remembers me. If he doesn't, then... it's fine. I love him because of the memories we had together."

"Memories are a painful thing right now."

He smiled slightly. "Thanks for this talk, Jisung. We don't usually talk like this."

"Because you're too busy making fun of me," Jisung complained with a laugh. "In all seriousness, hyung — thank you for being with Mark these two years. Of everyone I saw here, you're probably the most genuine caretaker. My grandpa's caretaker treated it like a job, while you treated it like a passion. You did more than care for Mark — you loved and cherished him."

"I wasn't supposed to fall in love," Donghyuck sighed, resting his head in his hands. "It wasn't supposed to happen. He was just supposed to be my friend. God, I'm so weak... I don't even know why I like him. I just... have feelings for him."

"Maybe that's the most beautiful part of it."

Donghyuck chuckled, finally looking up at the younger. "Get out of my room already. See you in the morning."

"Right, right, goodnight."