nege

Months had passed, and Donghyuck had yet to hear a single word from or about Mark. As expected, he was given a new client to take care of — an middle-aged brain trauma victim, just like Mark had been. She was easier to deal with, thankfully, but even with the new addition to his life, Donghyuck had yet to forget the effect Mark had on his life.

Six months passed since Mark left — Donghyuck had been counting the days. Every day he wondered if Mark was doing well, if the surgery was a success, but Donghyuck couldn't bear to ask Dr Han anything. He needed some time to himself, anyways, and reminding himself that Mark was no longer around hurt a lot more than he thought it would.

Before Donghyuck knew it, a year had passed. Then another, and another. He never forgot Mark, but he was definitely faring more well after almost three years. He'd never forget Mark, but he's been nothing more than an afterthought and a memory for the longest time.

"Donghyuck, are you in office?"

The brunette boy looked up from his phone, meeting eyes with Dr Han. The doctor seemed to have a bright smile adorning his expression, which made Donghyuck wonder what the good news could be. He stood up from his seat, walking over to the doctor. "Dr Han, it's been a while."

"Yes, we barely see one another," he smiled, inviting Donghyuck to sit across from him. "I hope you remember Mark Lee?"

He froze in place, slowly nodding his head. "Yes...? Did something happen to him?"

"Mark has gotten three surgeries, and every single one... was a success," Dr Han smiled. "He's been strictly rehabilitating all this time, and I got a call this morning requesting if Mark could visit us for a week."

Donghyuck brightened immediately as he began nodding. "Yes, oh my gosh. Uhm... where would he be staying?"

"Well, that's what I wanted to ask you," Dr Han said. "His parents requested if you could... be his caretaker for that week. Just like old times."

Donghyuck held his breath as he felt tears in his eyes. He nodded in confirmation. "I'll... I'll take care of him."

"Fantastic," Dr Han grinned, picking up his phone. "I'll call them immediately to tell them you agreed. He'll probably be arriving this evening, so set up the room well, okay?"

Donghyuck nodded, bowing politely before he left the room. He was beyond excited, because he'd be seeing Mark for the first time in over three years. While he was quite nervous at the same time, he couldn't hide his excitement at all. He bit his lips together before clearing his throat, still unable to hide his smile.

"You're... finally back..."

Late evening soon arrived, and Donghyuck was nervously seated outside the small apartment building he had managed to find a home in. He was afraid his relationship with Mark would never match up to the way they felt about each other when they were younger. It all felt too strange. He had changed quite a bit over those three years — granted, he wasn't any more mature than before, but he now lived on his own.

That same black car from before pulled up in front of the building, and Donghyuck quickly stood up to invite his guest in. The vehicle stopped, and the backseat door opened to reveal the boy Donghyuck hadn't seen in so long.

"... Mark."

He had gotten thinner, but that same smile almost brought Donghyuck to tears. Mark stood still, simply showing him a wave of his hand as a greeting. "Long time no see."

Donghyuck choked out a sob and quickly turned away to hide his face. Mark wanted to walk forward and hug him, but it felt a bit too unfamiliar in that moment — and Donghyuck understood why. Three years was a long time, and they couldn't simply continue as if no time had passed.

Donghyuck managed to gather and compose himself and sigh heavily, a smile on his face. "N-nice to see you, Mark. You've... changed."

"So did you."

Mark spoke differently. He had grown up. He had finally recovered. Mark's childlike smile had grown to be more carefree, complimenting his expression perfectly. Donghyuck looked into the car and saw Mr Lee. "O-oh, hello Mr Lee. Haven't seen you in a while."

"Likewise, kid," Mr Lee laughed, waving his hand. "Take care of my boy, 'ey? He missed you a lot."

"Dad—!"

"I'm just kidding!" Mr Lee laughed. "Run along, you two. Enjoy your week stay, Mark."

Mark bowed to his father after taking his bag out the car and closing the door. Mr Lee honked before driving off, leaving the two young adults to just look at each other for a moment. Donghyuck didn't know what to say. He felt weird being in front of Mark.

"Nothing changed, by the way."

Donghyuck looked at the slightly older boy, Mark's smile making his heart do flips all over again. Mark let out a little laugh as he looked at the ground bashfully. Donghyuck bit his lips together before smiling. "Wanna get a bowl of cereal?"

Mark nodded, and the two began their walk into the apartment building. "Apple Jacks, please."

Donghyuck stopped walking, lowering his head. Tears filled his eyes, but he couldn't let Mark see. He sighed heavily, trying his absolute best to not cry — but he could barely hold it back. "You're all better..."

"I told you I'll come back for you."

Donghyuck glanced at Mark, his eyes glossy with emotion. The older let go of his suitcase handle, letting it drop to the gravel as he tugged Donghyuck closer by his wrist and hugged him tightly. Donghyuck allowed himself to cry as hard as he wanted, allowing every bit of concealed emotion to finally show through.

He had truly missed Mark Lee.

And he was so glad to be by his side once again.

[ next chapter is last chapter :) thank you all for sticking around for so long <3 ]