Chapter 3

On Monday morning Lily is back at work, trying to handle the most ridiculous lunch rush Aberdeen had ever seen. From what she could tell every trucker in the Pacific Northwest was passing through town between noon and one, and all of them wanted to eat at the diner. Unfortunately for her this was also the time Kurt decided to drop in, a time when she absolutely could not talk, no matter how much she wanted to.

"Hey" Kurt greets as Lily comes over to him, menu in hand.

"Hi" She replies breathlessly, watching a table full of particularly rowdy men out of the corner of her eye.

"Do you have a minute?" He asks, attempting to make eye contact and she shakes her head.

"I really, really wish I did but I don't" Lily says as she runs and grabs the water pitcher, filling up glasses at a feverish pace.

"Should I just go?" Kurt asks and Lily rolls her eyes but smiles at him anyway.

"No Kurt, don't be silly! I'm just working!" She replies, easing his concern, "Do you want me to seat you?"

"No—how much longer do you work?" Kurt answers, knowing he can't afford to buy even a cup of coffee with his current monetary situation. Lily thinks for a minute before replying.

"I should get off at two but with this lunch rush I don't know if that will happen." She says and he nods, "Come by in two hours, I should be done by then"

"Are you sure?" Kurt asks nervously. He couldn't shake his anxiety that she wasn't interested in him at all, he was incredibly worried that he had misread all the signs.

Lily nods at him certainly, "I'm positive" She says with her smile that made Kurt's nerves melt away. The way her smile reaches her eyes and the way she just exudes warmth is something he isn't used to.

"Ok" He responds, still not completely convinced she wanted to spend time with him but too interested in this girl to overthink it too much.

"I'll see you soon" She says, with one last smile before she goes over to her first table and beginning to take their order.

The few hours pass by much faster for Lily than they do for Kurt. She spends the entire time running from table to table, trying to appease the cranky truckers. Kurt spends the majority of the time sitting in the parking lot, staring at his watch and waiting for Lily to get off work.

At 2:30 Lily goes over to her boss, Ruth, and asks to be let out.

"Please Ruthie can I go now?" She begs and Ruth rolls her eyes.

"I suppose you may," Ruth says with a knowing smile, "I'll see you tomorrow bright and early though"

"Thank you!" Lily squeals, hugging her before grabbing her purse and rushing out the door.

She goes out into the parking lot and is greeted by Kurt, sitting on the hood of his car and smoking a cigarette.

"Hi" Lily says with a smile and he smiles back.

"Hello" Kurt says, hopping of the car and greeting her, "How was work?"

"Horrific, one of my worst days of work ever" Lily answers honestly and he laughs, "At least its over though"

"Enough whining from me though, you said you wanted to talk about something, what's up?" She asks energetically.

"Uh, well...do you want to go for a drive?" Kurt replies looking worried.

"Well I shouldn't get into a car with a stranger..." Lily teases and Kurt blushes.

"Oh, uh...ok" He says, looking down at his feet.