9. A week

I haven't heard from Andrea for weeks now. I'm worried about her. With Clay, I went to her workplace and found out they had no idea why she wasn't reporting to work. She was supposed to come back after two days.

Plus I have a feeling that something is gonna happen. 

Other than that I've met Brandon a couple of times. And it looks like we can get along really good.

Clay is being a really good friend and stays with me almost all the time. But the others he isn't you can probably find him with Brandon. It's safe to say they hit it off really good. And I personally think that Brandon can be Clay's 'the one'.

Today I was extra gloomy. My fathers' side of the family contacted me and said that he had died a couple of days ago because of a heart attack. They told me he was terminally ill and they had known that for a couple of months. They called me now and told me just that and disconnected the call. 

If they decide to tell me they could have done it properly. I am his daughter. That gives me the right to be at his funeral. Now I just want to see him. I had the right to see him. But no one gave it to me. I didn't even know he was dead up until a couple of days ago.

My luck is not on my side too. Clay had a date with Brandon today. He said he will be out with him the whole night. Although Clay did say I can call him whenever I need him and he will be back to me in a flash.

I'm not gonna disturb him though. Not at all.

___

It's been a while and I was having snacks and watching Disney movies. They always had happy endings. Sadly I did not get one with Marvin.

Just as I'm about to open another pack of ships I feel a stinging sensation in my chest. I pause for a while and wait for it to fade away. It's been happening for a while now. Better go see a doctor soon.

Well, now that I think about it, It's been a long while since it's been happening.

I was gonna tell Marvin about it. But then things happened.

Going to a doctor right now would be better I guess. There isn't really something I'm doing right now anyway.

I close the movie I was watching and clean up. When I'm done with that I go up to my room and change into something warmer. It was pretty cold outside.

Grabbing my bike keys I get out of the house and lock the doors. Quickly mounting my bike I drive it out of the garage and speed out on the road towards the direction of the hospital.

___

I was currently contemplating if I should actually go in and meet the doctor or just return home. Before I could chicken out my name was called and now I know that I can't back out now.

So I walk in as confidently as I can and explain my situation to the doctor.

When he was done doing the check-up he told me to go do some tests. I did as he said.

My result will arrive tomorrow. And I'm supposed to come and collect it from the doctor.

___

The whole day today I've been thinking about the result. Even while working I was thinking about the results. I thought that that pain was nothing major but I have a really strong feeling that I'm gonna be proved wrong. In a very bad way.

As soon as my working hours are over I rush out of the building and go to the hospital. Not at all bothering to change into something more comfortable.

When I finally meet the doctor, whose name is Harold Williams, gives me a sad look. Now that just made me even more worried if that's possible. 

"Miss Nightingale, do your parents have any... Disease?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm sorry... There is no easy way of doing this, you do not have much time here."

"What?" My voice came out as a whisper. What did he mean by that?

"I'm really sorry. But you have a rare heart cancer."

"How...? How did I get it..?" I don't really know if I want to know that or not but I asked anyway. 

"As you know we ran some tests on you and nothing was wrong. We suspect it's passed onto you from either one of your parents."

"How much time do I have left?"

He hesitated for a while. Maybe he was not supposed to tell his patients how much time they have left. He tells me anyway.

"A week." He says in a low voice. 

Great. I'm gonna die in a week. Mum died in a car accident, Dad had a heart attack and died, Now I'm gonna die too.

"We can try to help you. There are therapies available."

Before he could continue I stop him.

"I don't want them. I should probably get going now."

With that, I get out of the room. Dr. Harold did not try to stop me, which I'm grateful for. Right now I just need some time alone. And I need to find a way to tell this to Clay.

___

I spend two hours all to myself. Thinking and thinking and thinking. Then finally I came to the conclusion that telling Clay as soon as possible would be best. And I'm dying so why not have some good memories before my time ends.

So with all the confidence I had, I pick up my phone only to stare at Marvin's sky blue eyes. I totally forgot that he was on my lock screen. And my home screen.

It was from a restaurant. We four-- Me, Andrea, Clay, and Marvin --Went out to eat. There was a wall in the restaurant where there were pictures of happy couples sitting in there and having fun. That was a simple thing the owner of the restaurant did. She was a sweet lady who adored cute couples.

Andrea and Clay being... Well... Andrea and Clay, insisted that we also stick our picture there. Fastfoward to where we agreed, Andrea said she will click one picture which we can keep with us and then the employee will click another one which will go on the wall.

We were nineteen at that time.

In the picture, we were sitting in that restaurant booth and I had my arms around Marvin's neck while one of his was around my waist and the other was on his side. Our faces were right next to each other, Both of us smiling widely. Marvin had a mischevious glint in his eyes. While mine had warmness and happiness.

That mischievousness came out when the employee clicked the picture for the wall. Right before the picture was taken he turned slightly towards me, wrapping both of his arms around my waist and planting a kiss on my cheek. Instantly making me blush.

I unlock my phone to come face to face with a picture of me and Marvin at the senior prom. We were dancing to a slow song. Looking at each other we both had soft smiles on our faces. Both of his hands were on my waist while both of mine were on his broad shoulders.

For a change, Andrea did not click this picture. It was Clay instead.

Clay.

I immediately open the contracts and call him.

"Heyyy Anne! How's it going?"

"I need to tell you something." Probably understanding by my tone of voice seems like he becomes serious too.

"I'll be at your place in five." And he hangs up.

___

Vote, Comment, and Share with your friends.