Chapter 40 A Summer that Lasted Forever

Chapter 40

[Francis' POV]

I remember clearly, It was the happiest summer of our lives.

Clarences' condition continued to deteriorate as days went by sa kabila nito nanatiling matatag ang positibo ang kalooban nito sa tulong na rin ng pamilya nya at namin mga kaibigan nya. I spent most of my summer in his house. Almost everyday nasa bahay nila ako para tulungan syang mabuhay at makalimutan nya kahit papano ang kanyang kapalaran gaya ng naipangako ko sa kanya.

I didn't want him to confine himself at home, kaya napagkasunduan naming magbabarkada na to spend the summer exploring the north. Good thing our friends were very supportive. Todo support din ang parents nya, just to make him happy. 

I remember he was very happy when one time I told him na mag a island hopping kami sa hundred islands ng Alaminos, Pangasinan. The whole time he was high on adrenaline. Hindi halos makatulog ang putek sa sobrang excitement. The day before we left natulog kaming lahat sa bahay nila kaya halos walang tulugan dahil walang tigil ang harutan at biruan. Though his parents persuaded him to sleep kung gusto nyang makasama.

Hindi pa man lumiliwanag ang araw lumarga na kami. Along the way, Edz convinced Clarence to sleep para may energy ito the whole day since hindi sya nakatulog ng maayos nung gabi dahil sobrang excitement. Edz was responsible for making sure that Clarence would take his medicine on time.

Pagdating sa destination, kaagad kaming nagcheck in sa hotel para makapag pahinga at para maka kain na rin. Edz made sure that he got enough rest. Though there were  lots of water activities to do we didn't allow him to do activities with exertion kahit parang batang syang nangungulit. In the afternoon nag island hopping kami which we all enjoyed especially Clarence. The whole trip went well.

 After ng trip sa Pangasinan, Ryan suggested to go to Baguio since medyo mainit na ang summer. Umakyat kami at inenjoy ang malamig na klima ng Baguio. Namitas ng strawberries sa Trinidad Benguet and we even visited the hanging coffins sa Sagada.

Kung iisipin nakakapagod ang nagbabyahe but I never saw Clarence get tired. I never even heard him complain about his pain. He was always high-spirited, always laughing. For the first time being with him I saw how much life he had, he'd never seemed to run out of life and energy which continued to astound us. When asked, where he was getting all the energy he would say, "You! All of you my friends. You are all my life support." Then he would smile.

We didn't get to complete our trip to the north. The next trip unfortunately would be the last.  

It was really so early when we got to Sabang Beach in Baler, Aurora. The sun was not yet up that's why everyone decided to take a nap. However, Clarence opened the door and got off the van. He walked toward the beach. A minute later I decided to follow him, he was sitting on the sandy beach. I sat beside him and asked him, "Are you ok? You're supposed to be taking rest!"

 "Ok lang ako," He retorted. "I just wanted to see the sunrise.... I might not be able to see it again."Dagdag pa nito.

"Hey, hey, hey, Ayan ka na naman! Wag ka ngang ganyan, kaya nga tayo na rito para mag enjoy hindi para malungkot at mag paka nega." Tugon ko naman.

"Sorry!"Tugon naman nya.

It was pretty cold at that time because you could feel the morning breeze blowing from the sea. 

"Ang lamig ng hangin!"Bigla naman nyang sambit.

"Nilalamig ka ba? Saglit lang". Tumayo ako at umupo sa likuran nya para mayakap ko sya ng maayos. "Yan ok na!"

There was a moment of silence. All you could hear was the wave ebbing back and forth on the shore. It was very serene.

Ilang saglit lang I heard him whimper, "Umiiyak ka ba?.... Bakit may masakit ba?.... I'll get your medicine! Saan nakalagay?"Sunod sunod kong sambit sa kanya.