cult of kosmos

( the impetuous brother )

CHLOE'S HEAD SCREAMED at her well before she started to gain full consciousness. A constant throb in her right temple from when she― well, from when she apparently hit her head.

The memories slowly came back to her: trailing Peter Kane, the unexpected ambush, the fighting, the―

Her head snapped up, ignoring the throb that now mimicked her heart in favor of knowing. A quick scan of the room revealed the underground cave that housed the― shroud? The casing was pushed back, and her eyesight was good enough to note the missing piece. What was someone like Dorian Jones doing with the Shroud of Eden?

Her mind supplied her with the answer in about a second: wasn't he the apprentice of an old Templar scientist?

Albeit strange, Jones seemed to have a motive. Revive his old boss? Immortality? Pure (while twisted) science? The phrase pick your poison seemed appropriate for the situation.

A groan from her side cut her examination short but provided the information that Kane was still alive, thank god. The fewer souls on her conscience, the better. 

(Wasn't she fine with killing not even four days ago?)

"Hey," she croaked out, wincing at her own voice. "Are you okay?"

"Define okay."

"Fair enough." Chloe cleared her throat, testing her bonds and taking inventory of any possible weapon on her person.

Dorian Jones was pretty smart, she'll give him that. The coat she had been wearing was gone, so all obvious weapons had been removed, along with her hidden blade. The ropes around her wrists were tight and her feet were bound to the wooden chair legs. 

A little wiggle room provided the feet were loose. 

A smirk. She could work with that.

"You going to make it?"

"Yes, but―"

"Good, act dead."

She didn't give him room to argue. "Come out and show yourself, coward!"

"What the bloody hell are you―"

"Come on!" she grinned, feeling the adrenaline coursing through her veins. "Don't tell me you're scared of confrontation!"

Ringing silence. Turning her head to the engineer, she raised her eyebrows. She got a bitchface in return, but Peter indulged her and let his head drop, slowing his breathing.

Good. Now she only had to worry about herself. "Wouldn't surprise me, seeing as you had your henchmen do your dirty work!"

"Such a loudmouth. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me."