bayek of siwa

( avengers: endgame )

IN RETROSPECT, CHLOE actually had quite a few questions.

Yet, staring out across the demolished landscape that was once the Avengers compound, those thoughts fizzled in favor of processing the scene before her.

As she walked out of the portal and stepped onto the barren ground, her fellow fighters and peers stepped out from around her. From different walks of life, from different settings and― different planets?

At this point, Chloe figured, shouldn't even ask.

Across the field stood Thanos and his army, all of his elite warriors and the dogs built to overwhelm. Across from Chloe, stood the figure she believed long dead.

A mix of adrenaline and rage filled her veins, her heart pumping, her body matching the desire to go. To avenge those she lost.

Drawing an arrow from her newly stocked quiver, and making note of all the enemies she would have to go through to get to Rams, Chloe Frye steadied her hand and waited.

"Avengers! ...Assemble."

"Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got 'em, or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce." Steve closed the briefcase and clicked it shut. "Clip all the branches."

"I've dealt with alternative realities before," Chloe whispered to Bucky, watching Bruce and Steve. "They're not as bad as you think."

"...What?"

She smiled. "You don't know everything, you realize that right?"

He made to comment, but Steve walked over with the case of the Infinity Stones in hand. "Don't do anything stupid 'til I get back."

Bucky scoffed. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

Chloe stepped back and let the two old friends hug.

"Gonna miss you, buddy."

"It's gonna be okay, Buck."

Steve pulled back and faced her, a small smile on his face. She understood it was pained.

He stepped in for a hug, and she met him halfway.

"Take care of yourself for me, alright?" he muttered, gripping her just a little tighter.

She swallowed past the tightness in her throat. "As long as you take care of yourself... alright?"

He pulled back and looked her in the eye. "I'm proud of you."