01 | a partridge in a pear tree

A/N

we made it :')

with love,

krissy

N I G H T    O N E

N I G H T    O N E

+

THE SAME NIGHT

Wangmin's wedding

December 15, 2021

+

MEI'S DRESS ITCHES.

The discomfort is its only flaw--glitter spills across the bodice and drips off the sweeping chiffon of its champagne skirt, brushing scratchily against her feet as they ache in heels.

Wind sings in Mei's ears as she stares out from the edge of the reception's rooftop terrace. Glittering high-rises gleaming with glass-walled shopping centers and business buildings rise like towers of starlight into a mist-clouded sky touched by the lingering scent of rain. Glowing Christmas light displays soak the waters of Hong Kong Harbor with vibrant color. Fishermen's boats and tourist's cruise ships glow like lanterns in the ribbon of water. Mei drinks in the scent of sea, leans her forearms against the silver railing of the terrace, lets the wintry breeze thread its fingers through her hair.

The bodice of her dress is sleeveless, soft and pale, the color of a faded rose-gold sun smoothing across her chest into a halter neckline. Goosebumps rise on her skin as the cold seeps easily through the fabric. She sniffs against the cold, fingers toying with an earring tucked into her second piercing, and tries to let the view soothe her racing heart.

She can't shake how out of sync she feels after catching Wen's eyes across the crowd. As if the feel of his eyes meeting hers, glimmering with speechless surprise, has thrown the earth off balance.

I learned that I don't have to run from pain to be happy.

Mei leans away from the railing with a quick shake of her head, tucking a loose curl of hair away from her eyes. There's no use thinking of it. Time has passed. They've moved on, both of them.

She turns just as the door to the rooftop terrace slides open.

"Sorry," she begins, expecting her father, "I just needed some fresh..."