¹⁷, NEW YEAR'S KISS

Start from the beginning

  "I expect you to be back here by noon tomorrow," Emily reminded Charlie as the teen finished curling her hair in the bathroom, "No later."

  "I promise." Charlie made eye contact with Emily in the mirror, "No later than noon." The teen shut off the curling iron, running her fingers through her hair before stepping back. She'd thrown on her only viable option for a rich boy's New Year's Eve party; a gold dress her grandmother had gifted her days prior.

  "You look lovely," Emily smiled, joining Charlie at her side, "I'm very glad you spent the holidays with us."

  "Me too, Grandma," Charlie smiled, resting her head on Emily's shoulder as they remained facing the mirror, "Me too."

  "When are you getting here, love?" 

  Charlie shifted slightly so her shoulder was pressing her closer to her ear as she turned on the Jeep's blinker, briefly glancing at the printed out directions laying on the passenger seat.

  "I'm almost there," She was at least thirty minutes out still, "Don't worry."

  "Not worried, I know you can handle yourself," Finn explained, "I am getting bored, though."

  "Isn't Colin there?"

  "Sure am!" Charlie laughed hearing the boy in question shout.

  "I'll see you soon."

  "All right—"

  "We love you, Lottie!"

  "Love you guys too," Charlie managed out between her laughs, on the other end Finn and Colin were yelling over each other trying to get the last word. Colin won, by rushing his words out and smashing the 'end call' button.

  "Who was that?" The blond boy threw his arms around the accented teens, "Some girl you're trying to get in bed with?"

  "No," Colin laughed, "Well, I can't speak for Finn." The boy shoved Colin, "No, she's his new best friend."

  "Ouch!" The boy laughed, "Well, I want to meet the girl that tamed you two."

  "She didn't tame us—"

  "No one could ever tame us!"

  "Alright, alright," He laughed, "What's her name?"

  "Lottie—"

  "Charlotte—"

  "Lottie." Finn glared at Colin, "Lottie Gilmore."

  "She's coming tonight?" He questioned, sipping the drink in hand.

  "Course she is," Colin nudged him, "Everyone's coming."

  "Everyone that matters," The blond corrected with a smirk, "I can't lie, I'm excited to meet my replacement."

  "No one could replace you, Logan!" Colin grinned at the boy, the trio retreating back into the living room.

  The party was in full swing by the time the tan Jeep pulled upfront. Charlie suddenly felt underdressed, despite her golden sparkles that twinkled in the moonlight. Everyone was dressed like they were going to a gala, maybe this was a gala and Finn had simply forgotten to tell her.

  It wouldn't be that surprising.

  "So, you're Lottie."

  The teen whirled around, coming face to face with a boy that looked her age. He was taller than her, not like Finn who towered over her, but noticeably taller. His blond hair was messily styled, but Charlie could tell he put effort into it, his collared shirt that had two buttons popped open had the same effect.