Deal: Chapter 17

“DEAL”

Chapter 17

Xiao You hasn’t seen Xi Men in the past four months. She has been avoiding him at all costs. It wasn’t because he lied to her about his real feelings towards her but more that she felt betrayed. That all this time Xi Men has been in love with her but just couldn’t admit it to himself and to her.

She silently wished she hadn’t known Xi Men at all. If she could turn back time she would wish that their paths never crossed. Much like how a part of her regretted that she was the person who reunited Xi Men with his first love.

Xiao You recalled that day at their Way of Tea Club. Of all people why should Yi Fen-jiejie and Xiao Geng be one and the same person?

And her heart broke into a million pieces when Xiao Geng and Xi Men informed her separately that they’d be meeting again at the rooftop.

The rooftop. That’s another thing that Xiao You wished she could undo. If only she wasn’t so persistent to find the answer for Xi Men. Everything would have turned out differently.

As it were, what’s done is done and past is past. But Xiao You had a nagging feeling that maybe the past must be revisited. It’s time she had a talk with Xiao Geng to find out what really happened at the rooftop back then.

Xiao You searched for Xiao Geng’s profile on QQ Space. She found her right away and sent her a private message. It took a week before she received a reply from Xiao Geng.

Hi Xiao You! Sorry for the late reply. I can meet you sometime next week. Just message me the date, time and place. - GYF

Xiao You immediately typed the date, time and place for their meeting.

A few days later the arranged meeting took place. Xiao You waited on a coffee shop in downtown Shanghai.

“Hi Xiao You!” Xiao Geng greeted her as she approached her table.
“Xiao Geng-jiejie!” Xiao You waved and smiled at her.
Xiao Geng sat on the opposite chair in front of Xiao You.
“It’s been a long while Xiao You. How have you been?” She asked.
“Yes, it’s been a long while. I’m fine. How about you?” Xiao You also asked.
“Oh, I’m fine too. I’m very busy with my work that’s why I responded your message to me so late. Please forgive me.”
“Oh it’s okay. I’m sorry I bothered you with this meeting.”
“It’s alright. It’s nice to meet an old friend.” Xiao Geng smiled warmly at Xiao You.
“Thank you for giving your time to me today.”
“It seemed important when you I read your message.” She eyed Xiao You. “You mentioned Xi Men and the rooftop.”
“Yes, that’s what I wanted to talk with you today.” Xiao You confirmed. “I want to know what you and Xi Men talked about that day.”
“Oh.” Xiao Geng was taken aback.
“Is it really true that you told Xi Men that his ‘once in a lifetime’ belonged to me?” Xiao You asked carefully.
Xiao Geng nodded. “That day when you brought him to the club I instantly knew that you liked him. When Xi Men and I talked alone I felt something has changed in him. I felt that he liked you too. It’s a woman’s instinct. But I guess we were both blinded then that we could go back to what we were in the past. But that morning on the rooftop as we saw that the sign wasn’t there anymore it made both of us realized that we’ve truly missed our ‘once in a lifetime.’ And right then and there I felt that Xi Men doesn’t belong to me as much as I don’t belong to him anymore. So that’s why I told him that you are his new ‘once in a lifetime.’” Xiao Geng finished retelling.
Xiao You sat quietly.
Xiao Geng leaned closer to Xiao You. “Aren’t you two together?
Xiao You shook her head.
It surprised Xiao Geng. “I thought you two have ended up together. It was obvious he really liked you.”
“He lied to me.”
“Xi Men lied to you?”
“Yes, he didn’t tell me that you said his ‘once in a lifetime’ belonged to me. He also didn’t tell me what he really felt but instead lied to me that he could only see me as a friend.”
“That’s typical of Xi Men to conceal his real feelings.” She chuckled. “But I thought with you he’d be more courageous.”
“Apparently not.”
“If you don’t mind my asking, what’s going on between you two?” Xiao Geng inquired.
Xiao You told her everything.
“But you still love him now don’t you? Or else why would you be asking me about the past?”
“I just wanted to confirm with you if what he said was true.”
“And now that you have it confirmed, what do you plan to do with it?”
“Nothing.”
“I hope you won’t take offense with what I’m going to say to you. Xiao You, does it really matter what happened in the past? Xi Men did beg you to forgive him and give him a second chance. When you brought us two together I really didn’t want him to be a part of my life anymore. But I wanted to give him a second chance since he asked me. If I didn’t then up to know I’d probably be living a life full of regrets and what ifs. Xi Men may have made a wrong decision then but in my opinion he is making the right and best decision in his life now. How about you?”

Xiao You pondered what Xiao Geng told her as she went back to her apartment.

She was right. She should forget about the past. Leave it all behind where it belong. The past. She and Xi Men should both move on and move forward. Do you want to keep living a life of regrets and what ifs Xiao You?

© Franzz P. Follow on Instagram @onceinalifetimearc2018
Date written: December 23-24, 2018

Note: I just felt like Xiao You and Xiao Geng needed to meet up again and talk. FYI, Xiao You told Xiao Geng about Xiao Tian. (That’s a lot of Xiao’s. Hehe) But that conversation wouldn’t fit with the flow. Maybe in the later chapters I’ll write a quick scene with Xiao Tian and Auntie Xiao Geng.