Deal: Chapter 3

“DEAL”

Chapter 3

Xi Men drove like a mad man on the way to Xiao You’s apartment. Dao Ming Si texted him the address of where she currently lived. He knew that Xiao You has moved out of her parents’ place but he didn’t know where she lived. After half an hour he found himself outside the apartment complex. He rode on the elevator and within a few seconds he reached the eight floor and was now standing outside her apartment’s door. He pressed the door bell once. On his second buzz, the door opened and a stunned Xiao You greeted him.

“Hi Xiao You.” He greeted.
“Xi-Xi Men.” She stammered.
“You stood me up yesterday.” He commented.
“I know. I’m sorry. But something happened.” She began.
“I know what happened. It happened a year ago.” He muttered.
“You knew?!” Her eyes went big and the color in her face drained.
“I just found out actually.”
“Who-”
“Ah Si.” He said in response to her question of who told him.
She inhaled deeply. “Well, even if you knew, I promised you that that there will be no strings attached to our deal.”
“No strings attached, yes. But conceiving a child is a different matter Xiao You.”
“I know that.” She said in defense.
Then both were interrupted by a cry.
“Excuse me.” Xiao You said as she moved to close the door.
Xi Men’s aura suddenly changed. “Is that…?”
Xiao You nodded. She eyed him momentarily. “Would you like to meet your son?”
Xi Men stared at her. “Can I?”
She nodded and stepped back so he can get inside her apartment.
It was a small two-bedroom apartment.
“I’m sorry about the mess.” She said as she led the way to the nursery room. “I meant to clean up but Xiao Tian was making a fuss this morning.”
Xi Men didn’t say anything. He felt sorry and disturbed that his son has to live in such an environment.

Xiao You stepped closer to the crib where their son was lying and crying hysterically. Xiao You carried him in her tiny arms and began rocking him. She made shh-ing sounds as she put the baby back to sleep. The baby’s cries subsided and eventually he was soundly asleep. Xiao You continued to carry him in her arms, rocking and swaying. Xi Men watched all these by the doorstep.

“You’re such a natural.” He remarked, his voice low.
“Thanks. I used to babysit for my little cousins.” She put back in the crib Xiao Tian and covered him with a blanket. She motioned for Xi Men to come in. He did so and looked closely at the baby boy who indeed looked just like Xiao You.
“He looks like you.” He said, smiling.
“I know.” She said, smiling.

They watched in silence their son sleeping. Xiao You left the room to give Xi Men some privacy. When Xi Men joined him in the living room, he noticed that some of the mess was cleaned up.

“Do you want some tea?” She offered.
“Okay.” He said sitting on the couch.
Xiao You busied herself making tea. After five minutes she joined him by the couch and served him tea.
“Thanks.” Xi Men said to her.
“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I was pregnant and that we have a child.” Xiao You started.
“Why didn’t you?” He asked. “Ah Si said he told you to tell me.”
She sighed. “Honestly, I was scared.”
“Scared?”
She fixed her eyes on him. “To be rejected by you again.”
Xi Men was taken aback by her honest answer. “Still, I deserved to know.”
“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” She apologized.
“Why didn’t you show up yesterday? You could have told me then.”
“I told you something happened.”
“Enough with the excuses Xiao You.” He snapped.
Xiao You shh-ed him. “Lower your voice or else the baby will wake up and cry again.”
“Sorry.” He whispered.
“Look, Xiao Tian has a fever yesterday that’s why I couldn’t leave and meet you. If he wasn’t sick yesterday I’d tell you the truth.”
“He’s sick?” He asked with concern.
“Yes. But he’s quite okay now. His fever has gone down since dawn but I’m still observing him for other signs and symptoms.” She explained.
“What can I do to help?”
“Nothing. I can manage. My parents are helping me. Shan Cai and Dao Ming Si often visits me and help watch over Xiao Tian while I clean up the house and take a rest.”
“What about your job?” He inquired.
“I quit already.”
“What?!”
Xiao You shh-ed him again. “Then how are you able to support yourself and our son?”
“Well, Dao Ming Si offered to pay my rent and he helped me learn how to earn money through the stock market. I’m quite good at it actually. Once I can leave Xiao Tian on the day care center I’ll get a new job again.”

Xi Men didn’t like what he heard. Xiao You is in need of financial support among other things. His only consolation is how his best friend Dao Ming Si stepped in for him. Now that he knew the truth he won’t allow the situation to go on.

He indeed loved this woman but his fear of commitment was the hindrance for them both. He was angry that she didn’t tell him the truth but he understood her reasons because she knew him well enough. Now that he has seen his son, how can he stay mad at Xiao You when she just gave him the best and the cutest gift ever? He still didn’t know what to do but right now he couldn’t take their living and financial situation. ‘Be a responsible man.’ That was the advice Dao Ming Si gave him. And he will be a responsible man. A responsible father. As for husband, that he has no clue. Should he asked Xiao You to marry him? Is marriage the solution to their current situation?

“Marry me.” He blurted out.
“What?”
“I said marry me.” He repeated.
“No.”
“Why not?”
“Because you don’t love me.”
“How would you know?”
“Because I do. And I feel.”
“Well, you’re wrong.”
“Xi Men, be serious.”
“I am serious.”
“My answer is still no.”
“Don’t be so hasty with your answer. I know you love me. You still love me. You are very much in love with me.”
Xiao You smirked. “And you’re so certain of yourself huh? So what if I still love you very much? That doesn’t mean we have to get married.”
“We have a son.”
Xiao You laughed. “Oh my goodness Xi Men! If all the women you’ve slept with told you they have your child, would you marry them too?”
He shook his head. “No, just you.”
Xiao You blinked. “Excuse me?”
“You heard me.”
“I still don’t like what you’re suggesting.”
“Then how do you propose,” he said carefully, “we raise our son?”
“I’ll allow you to visit him. I won’t hide from him that you’re his father. Even if you get married to someone else and have children with your wife.” She said.
Xi Men chuckled. “Is that so?”
“Yes.” She said firmly.
“What if I don’t agree to that?”
“Why wouldn’t you?”
“Because you tend to break your own deal and proposition.” He answered.
“What? In the first place, what would I gain by telling my son about you? Nothing. It’s not like he’s gonna be the heir and successor to your family and business.”
“What if Xiao Tian is the heir and successor?”
Xiao You raised both her hands in defeat. “I give up. This conversation is too much for me right now. I’m sleep deprived and exhausted. I don’t need this right now. Just go Xi Men. Come back another day.”
“See, if we’re married you’d be relaxing and comfortable right now. I can provide for both of you.”
“That sounds tempting but my answer is still no.”
“Is this your way of punishing me because I rejected you all those years ago?”
“Xi Men, do you hear yourself right now?”
“Xiao You, look, I’m accepting you in my life. It’s a bit late to confess to you but I do love you.”
This time Xiao You laughed so hard. “I can’t believe this. Five years later and a son, Xi Men Yan confesses his love for me.”

Xi Men left Xiao You’s apartment by noontime since he had a business meeting at one o’clock that day. Xiao Tian had woken up again. Xiao Tian’s fever is completely gone. Xiao You breastfed him which surprised him. He tried to excused himself but Xiao You insisted he stayed and watched as their son is being fed. It was a sight to behold and it made him very much impressed with her natural mother’s instincts. In spite of the disagreement he and Xiao You were having, she let him stay and bond with their son. She’s still that kindhearted girl he met seven years ago. Still that cute girl he met at a tea shop. She’s grown and mature and has become her own woman but she’s still that little lady who warmed his cold heart and revolutionized his life. His confession to her indeed came five years too late but his love for her has never wavered nor diminished. He himself will admit that he has been seeing less and less of women. Depending on the outcome of yesterday, if she showed up, Xi Men might have proposed to Xiao You that they start dating officially. Then he found out he got her pregnant and with child. Mei Zuo would indeed lecture him all day for messing up. It’s not that he regretted that he accidentally impregnated Xiao You. Of all the countless women he had slept with, he was quite thankful it happened to her. Maybe this is fate intervening for them. Maybe it is truly their destiny to be together.

© Franzz P. Follow on Instagram @onceinalifetimearc2018
Date written: December 16, 2018

Note: I really had fun writing this chapter. Some dialogues are a stroke of genius.