Deal: Chapter 14

“DEAL”

Chapter 14

A laugh woke up both Xi Men and Xiao You. It was their son. He was already awake, sitting upright in between his sleeping parents.

“Hey buddy!” Xi Men patted Xiao Tian’s back. “You’re up so early.” He yawned.

Xiao Tian laughed again.

“Good morning my sweet angel.” Xiao You got up, and kissed Xiao Tian on his cheeks.
“Don’t I get a good morning kiss too?” Xi Men teased.
Xiao You shot him a look. “Good morning kisses are for little angels only.”
Xi Men chuckled.

Xiao You sat up right, crossing his legs. She put Xiao Tian in the middle of his crossed legs.
“Are you hungry Xiao Tian?” She played with him.
Xiao Tian nodded. “Um-um.”
Xiao You giggled. “Okay. Um-um it is.”
“Um-um?”
“It’s Xiao Tian’s vocabulary for food. Like yum-yum. Yummy.”
“When did he start talking like that?” Xi Men inquired.
“Just this week.” Xiao You carried in her arms Xiao Tian and got up from bed.
“Where are you going?” Xi Men asked. He too had arisen from the bed.
“Ah, to get something to eat?”
“Let’s have my mother take care of that. I bet she’d love to hang out with Xiao Tian.” Xi Men suggested.
“Your mother? No, I don’t want to bother her.”
“It’s no bother. She wants to act grandmotherly actually.”

There was a phone by the bedside drawer. Xi Men dialed a few numbers. “Wei? Ma? Do you want to feed Xiao Tian for breakfast?”

Xiao You looked stunned. What is Xi Men up to, she thought.

After he hanged up the phone there was a knock and Mrs. Lu the Xi Men’s head housekeeper appeared. “Young Master, Madam said I am to pick up the Little Master.”
“Mrs. Lu, good morning.” Xi Men greeted cheerfully. “Yes, please bring my little boy to my mother.” He took Xiao Tian from Xiao You and handed him over to Mrs. Lu.

Mrs. Lu and Xiao Tian left the guest room.

“Now what?” Xiao You asked warily.
Xi Men closed in the distance between them. “Now we can talk.”
“Okaaaay. Talk about what?”
Xi Men grabbed his hand. “Come with me.” He led them both out of the guest room and into the balcony which was just near the upstairs bedrooms.
Xiao You was still confused what was going on. “Why are we in the balcony?”
“Because I want to know what really happened that night on my twenty-first birthday. I’m sorry but apparently I was really drunk to remember anything. I asked Mei Zuo last night but even he couldn’t remember.” Xi Men explained.
That took Xiao You by surprise. She had tried to push back at the farthest recesses of her memory that incident. Now here is Xi Men trying to bring it back.

“Why do you want to know?” She asked.
“According to my mother it might be one of the reasons you’re not accepting my marriage proposal.” He answered.
“Oh.”
“Well?” Xi Men pressed on. “What happened?”
Xiao You fidgeted. “It was nothing. And what happened then has nothing to do with my decision to refuse you.”
“Xiao You,” his voice was stern. “If you tell me about it now, I promise I won’t bother you anymore.”
Xiao You chuckled.
“What?”
She shook her head. “It’s like deja vu.”
Xi Men immediately understood what Xiao You meant. “Yeah, it is. But I’m the one who’s asking you this time.”
“Do you really need to know?” Xiao You fixed her eyes on him.
He nodded.
“Okay. But I need to clarify first what you meant by not bothering me anymore. Does it mean you’re withholding your marriage proposal?”
“It depends on what I’ll find out.”
“That’s not fair.”
“Nothing’s fair in life and even in love, babe.”
“I’m not your babe.” Xiao You said dismissively.
“Fine. You’re actually my little fish.” He said.
“What?”
“Nevermind. So are you telling me or not?”
“You’re so impatient.” She scolded him.
“Well, I just really want to know, okay?”