(10)

(10)

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

<Everly's Point of View>

When I arrived at work, I didn't expect for my mother to be waiting in my office with a scowl upon her face.

"Hey mama," I greeted her with a smile. I was fairly happy today, and I could only thank Vincenio for putting me in such a great mood.

She stood up, and glared at me long and hard before coming up to me and slapping me hard across my face. My chipper attitude was slowly growing darker as a fire grew in my eyes.

"What was that for?" I asked extremely pissed off. This was the second time I have been slapped within a span of twenty-fours hours. I obviously wasn't doing something right.

"Terrance told me about your evil plan to trap that poor man into conceiving a child with you. He also told me that your were sexually involved in your office. I didn't raise you for a whore Everly Ann!" My mother scolded me as she looked up at me.

Goodness! Why did Terrance have to fucking ruin everything? "Maybe you should take that slap back and donate it to your perfect 'son'," I hissed with hatred in my voice. Terrance had completely crossed the line. What was with everyone exploiting my buisness everywhere as if that shit didn't matter to me? If I wanted the whole fucking world to know my shit I would have went to the press with my diary.

"What are you talking about? Terrance hasn't do--"

"Don't even finish that sentence," I threatened my mother. I didn't like disrespecting her in such a manner, but she automatically jumped into conclusions based on what Terrance told her.

"He's lucky that I didn't go straight to dad after what he did to me," I added, remembering the rough skin of his palm as it connected with the same cheek my mother had slapped moments ago.

"What are you going on about?" Ma said as she sat down on one of the sofas around my office.

"Terrance hit me mom. He's obsessed with me, and if you don't believe me then I could show you," I said as I went to the office restroom and cleared off the foundation and base I applied this morning to cover my bruised cheek. I really hoped that Vincenio didn't see, which I'm sure he did.

"He did this to you?" she asked as she glanced at the purple blotch on my cheek. I nodded slowly.

"As for that contract I tried to have him make, it's no longer a factor. I'm in a relationship Ma. I wanted to bring him by but I didn't want you guys to scare him away with your crazy antics," I chuckled at the thought.

"I'm going to call your father," my mom said as she dug through her purse, probably looking for her cell phone. I quickly grabbed her hand.

"You can't. Dad will kill him, and I don't want that. As much as I hate Terrance right now, he was my best friend for a good chunk of my life and I still care about him."

She nodded slowly, and set her purse down. "Right, but I won't promise you that I'll hold my tongue," she said as she watched me rush around my office, gathering today's files together.

"Are you going to be busy today?" she asked rather hopeful that I wasn't. I knew what that meant. My mother would want the latest info of my newest relationship. Or possibly shop. I hated both options.

"Actually, I have about four meetings...starting now," I said as I glanced at my watch.

"At least give me the young man's name," she begged, grabbing hold of my elbow. I sighed heavily.