01. chapter

[ BRUSHING A GIRL'S HAIR
OVER HER EAR, ONCE A DAY,
WILL SOLVE MORE PROBLEMS
THAN ALL THOSE THERAPISTS
AND DRUGS !
— atticus. ]

LANA GARDINER isn't dead.

Wesley didn't know how, but he knew. Jane's words ring in his mind all the time, "she'll be fine. She's strong."

Call it child folly he didn't care. Call it a man's intuition and yet he still wouldn't care. His friends would die laughing if he told them that he knew Lana wasn't dead just because he knew.

But he also does have a logical explanation. And that being the fact that there's been no announcement. His school is, and has always been very involved with their students' affairs.

The death of a student wouldn't be brushed off , lightly. They'd make sure everyone attended a funeral or at least prayed in silence for a minute.

Farah used to complain all the time about it. "I pray early in the morning every day because of my parents," she'd say. "I don't want to pray at school as well!"

A chuckle erupts from Wesley's mouth as he remembers Farah's reluctance to be religious. According to her, it messes with her vibe.

He's done with his shift at J's Diner and also, all the entries of Lana's diary. He feels guilty reading everything and he can't deny that his heart had started pounding just as he read the last line of the last entry.

It's how he knows the diary is very recent. The small amount of entries and the date scribbled on the corner of the last entry. She's never written dates on the entries before, just this one. It's recent, and to Wesley, it feels like a sign.

The impractical side of him didn't want to visit Lana's house just as soon as he got the address from Jane. He wanted to finish reading everything first. He was human and despite that small inner part of him chanting that he was invading someone's privacy and that it was wrong, he still read everything from top to bottom. He felt like he had to know everything at that time, to help Lana.

It wasn't a question to him whether or not to help her. It was a given, he was just that type of person.

Did he feel like a meddler? Yes. Did he regret it? Slightly, but not enough to feel bad about it.

Wesley shakes his head, trying to forget about all the rambunctious thoughts churning inside his head. There hasn't been any use dwelling on his past emotions and feelings. All that matters is here and now.

In the end, it's all for a good cause, he thinks.

He walks along the sidewalk, his backpack slung over his shoulder, her diary inside it. He's read Lana's address more than thirty times a day for the past week, drilling it into his head.

She didn't live far from where J's Diner stood so he had decided to walk there once he was done with his shift.

"No. 31, Huntington Avenue." He mutters and repeats it under his breath. It's a chant to him now, and he doesn't know why he does it. He's been fidgeting this whole time, squirming and churning out of fear and nervousness.

What would happen? Would someone even open the door? Would Lana's mother even let him inside? Would Lana even want to see him? Was Lana even in this country?

The possibilities were endless.

"Calm down." He tells himself, breathing. Inhale and exhale. Inhale and exhale. There we go.

In a short amount of time and with minimal effort from his mind and limbs he arrives at his destination. It's a fairly large house, bigger than Wesley's at least. From the get go, all he does is admire the view of the house. He's no stranger to architecture and he can't help but admire how beautifully constructed it is.

He can only see the appearance of the front but he likes it, modern with a rustic touch. Elegant yet simple. Eggshell white walls and glass windows. There are bursts of rows of elegantly lined wood panels on the side. It's gorgeous.

Forcing himself to snap out of it he clears his throat, dusts imaginary dirt off his hair and straightens his shirt.

He's grabbing the strap of his backpack so tightly, his knuckles are turning white. Wesley's nervous.

Despite all this he takes a step forward and rings the doorbell.

[ A/N : happy new year x I'm super sorry for the wait guys. Also if this chapter flows really badly it is because of my inability to write present tense. I'm still trying but dying. We get to meet Lana next chapter !! I hope you enjoy   ]