If You Could, Would You?

HA Iceshard1011 YOU LOSE I GOT IT DONE IN TIME

Ahem, I mean, take this short that was created for fun and totally wasn't part of a bet

Third Person
Cody wasn't sure why he was so drawn to the outer rims that day until he reached there and found a man that radiated power that Cody had never felt before other than the Nexus itself. Except, it wasn't like the Nexus at all.

The Nexus could feel like many things at once: A warmness of home, a deep longing for being around the ones you love, a sadness that brought hopes of a better day tomorrow, but in the end, all of those things boiled down to things that weren't too bad. The man in front of him felt more like... Cody found it hard to explain but the best he could was as if he were told to solve a complicated math problem that he had no idea where to even begin with, or someone would die. Needless to say, it wasn't good.

He had dark blonde hair with light tips, and his hair was rather shaggy. He wore a long cloak with an orange shirt on the inside, white pants, and a long, black scarf. A white, pointed tail swished from side to side as his mismatched eyes bore into them. One was silver, and the other, a bright yellow. He grinned and showed off a mouthful of sharp teeth.

Cody's stomach dropped even further when the man introduced himself as 'Death'.

"Not what you expected, eh?" 'Death' seemed more amused by his reaction than offended, which did help Cody's mood but not nearly as much as he hoped. "No one ever does. They always expect some skeleton man in a hood."

"Am I dead?" Cody blurted out in a split second, then blinked. "Or... Or going to die?"

Death actually laughed at him for that comment. "Mortals are always so predictable! Like robots, you are! Always following whatever is programmed into your heads to believe. Like that it stops at death. Well, I suppose it can, but not always. There are other options."

The silence was palpable until he laughed, again. Cody didn't know why he felt like a child to this man but he did, especially when he laughed. "Oh, right, you asked a question! Nope, you aren't going to die anytime soon. Though, time is rather malleable, so who knows, I could be wrong."

The penguin's chest twisted still. The little glow in Death's eyes unsettled him, and the way he eagerly seemed to look him up and down and grin even wider just made him nervous. What's his deal? "So, uh, you going to explain why you're here..?"

"Oh, 'course." Death waved his hand in the air, dismissing him. "See, I like watching different lives but yours is particularly interesting. But, I've noticed that you seem to hang around the idea of your brother a lot. Y'know, and how he's dead and all." Cody didn't have to say anything to show how he was feeling. You could see it in his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, sad and all, BUT! I'm here to give you a chance to bring him back!"

It took a moment for the king to process his words. "You're..." His voice trailed off, glancing around one more time. "This isn't some sort of trick, is it?" Death simply raised his eyebrows at him. "You're Death, why would you give me that chance?"

"Are you saying you don't want it?" Death asked innocently, a smirk on his face.

"NO!" Cody said a bit too loudly and a bit too quickly for his own liking. The man seemed more than pleased as Cody shook himself. "I'm not saying that at all I just... Why? I don't understand why you would give me this chance at all."

"Sometimes, we shouldn't question miracles, hm?" Death answered, crossing his arms. "So, do you want him back?"

Yes yes yes yes. Every part of Cody screamed but something about this man just wasn't right. It took him a moment to properly form the words in his mouth but eventually, he knew what to ask. "What's the catch? What do I have to do?"