Chapter 5

A/N: Thanks for supporting this book! It's already ranked #23 in thedeathcure and #9 in thefevercode! Thanks also for the 60+ reads!

"Now, what to do with the boy," Harriet sighed.

"Aris," (Y/N) suddenly corrected her. She was tired to always hearing Aris ring called 'the boy' since he has a name. Although she didn't realize that she shouldn't have done that since that would just raise a lot of questions.

"What?" Sonya looked at her with a questionable look.

"Um is the boy going to spend the night in the Croaker's Hut?" (Y/N) tried to cover up what she said.

"Well we certainly can't let him sleep with a room filled with girls. He'll have to make himself comfortable in the Croaker's Hut for now," Harriet ran her hands through her head. "Sonya and I are going to the Maze today to see what you've found. Until we come back, you're in charge."

(Y/N)'s jaw dropped. "You can't leave me to lead the Valers right now!?" She exclaimed. Normally, (Y/N) would've taken the job without any complaints but she also had other things to figure out. "Now that everything's a wreak!"

"I have no choice," Harriet snapped.

"Why can't you just run with me? I was the one who found the Hole!"

"I need Sonya with me and the Vale is in better hands with you."

(Y/N) tried to look at Sonya for help but she also sided with Harriet. She had no choice and she couldn't do anything. She doesn't want to argue anymore with Harriet who's dealing with a lot and is clearly stressed. But she doesn't think that it's fair to lay all of the job on her.

"Fine," (Y/N) accepted the job.

"Thank you," Harriet's face softened.

"Sure," (Y/N) smiled a tight smile. She was certain that the two saw that she wasn't exactly pleased to have the job as the leader, but they didn't say anything.

Harriet and Sonya left the Assembly Hut to prepare for their run inside the Maze, leaving (Y/N) alone. (Y/N) then felt the pressures and the stress of being the Leader of the Vale. She would've gladly taken the job any day but today. (Y/N) cursed under her breath as she tried to compose herself before she goes out.

(Y/N) heard a soft knock on the door. "Come in," she said. She stood up and saw Rachel shyly enter the Assembly Hut. She was still taking in the scene inside the hut since it was clearly her first time inside.

"Hi," Rachel said shyly. It made (Y/N) smile, how nice the girl is.

"How are you with all that's happening?" (Y/N) asked her.

"Still confused as ever especially since there's him," she admitted, "but I saw Harriet and Sonya asking Annie for food. They said that they were going to the Maze, leaving you in charge."

"Thickheads they are," (Y/N) scowled. It was new for Rachel to see (Y/N) mad since she was always cheerful and easy to approach. "But there's nothing I can do."

"It doesn't seem fair. For them to run off at a time like this."

"It isn't," (Y/N) agreed. "I can't do this alone Rachel. I'm not giving the responsibility like those two thickheads, but I just need someone to help me. I want someone like you."

Rachel's eyes widened. (Y/N) knew how stupid that was since this was just the girl's second day. "Why me?"

"I can't think of anyone else really. I'm only really close to Sonya and Harriet. But if you need to go back to your responsibilities, I'll let you go."

(Y/N) was really hoping that Rachel would say yes. She fully expects that the Valers won't help her but ask her questions and question her every move as well. Rachel seems to be the only nice one here.

"Well, it's still three hours before lunch. Meaning two hours before I have to go and help Annie. So I accept the job."

"Thank you. I can't thank you enough."

"Well, what are we going to do first?" Rachel asked.

"We have to get the Valers back to work," (Y/N) was going back to her old cheery self, "that's going to be the challenge. Then go check up on the boy." (Y/N) didn't mention it, but she saw Rachel tense up when she mentioned Aris. It just made her curious on why.

(Y/N) was right since when she left the Assembly Hut, she was met with many Valers with many questions. She tried to answer as many questions as she could, but she wasn't exactly God. She doesn't know everything and is as baffled and confused as everyone. She told everyone to go back to work and even if they were still confused, they couldn't do anything else. Their leader had no idea what's going on and a boy's presence isn't an excuse to not continue to do their jobs.

When everyone went back to their jobs, Rachel went to Annie to prepare lunch. Now, (Y/N) was going to the Croaker's Hut to check up on Aris. In her mind, (Y/N) knows that Aris is the boy's name and that's what she called him in her head. Even if she was nervous on trying to answer the questions of the Valers earlier, she was more nervous on meeting Aris, if he was awake.

(Y/N) was just in front of the Croaker's Hut. Before she could knock, the door opened for (Y/N) to see Joan about to leave. Joan's short hair was all over her face. She looked tired which was understandable.

"Joan, where are you headed?" (Y/N) asked.

"Just to get my lunch," she replied. "The boy is still unconscious but he's doing just fine. You can see him if you want."

"Thank you."

Joan then shot off to get her lunch, leaving both (Y/N) and Aris alone. (Y/N) sat on a chair that was beside Aris' cot. It was now that she truly saw him. She saw that he has light skin and brown hair. He was sleeping peacefully which was something that (Y/N) envied, she hasn't had a peaceful sleep since she could remember.

It was then (Y/N) thought about what she'd have to say when he wakes up. She knew somehow that the male speaking last night was him and that he fully knew that he was going here in the Maze. But everyone who came here always has the situation. They don't remember anything or anyone, who's to say that this boy's any different?

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow
- Once_Upon_A_Glade (My Wattpad account)

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade