Chapter 8

Dan Huber met the Averys as they pulled into his driveway, his face red and angry. "What's this, Avery? Where's my son?"

"I don't know," Mr. Avery responded honestly as he climbed out of the car.

"Look, you took him this morning. You're responsible for him!"

Mark Avery stopped Huber cold with one, long, level look.

"Dan," he said, "I'm here to help." He chose his words carefully. "I think I understand how you feel. Something is threatening your family, and you're in battle mode. But I am not your enemy. Don't start this by attacking me."

Dan Huber opened his mouth to answer and then stopped. He breathed deeply, "Somebody is going to pay for this," he threatened.

"Somebody already is," Mr. Avery answered quietly. "You are, and Jacob is, and, most of all, Karl is." For a moment, the two stared into each other's eyes. Dan Huber opened and shut his mouth three times, trying out harsh and angry words. But Mark Avery never flinched nor wavered under his gaze. He just looked into Huber's eyes and shared his pain. "Getting mad at me won't get Karl back, Dan."

Mr. Huber's shoulders slumped. "You make sense, Avery, " he admitted. He clutched his head. "I could use some sense right now."

"Come on, then," urged Mr. Avery "there's plenty to do." He waved to the kids to get out of the car. Noah obeyed promptly, Nancy more slowly, and Jacob lagged behind. They were a sorry-looking bunch, Mr. Avery thought. Dan Huber's anger had frightened the kids, and now that it had passed, he looked defeated already. Mr. Avery eyed his dejected figure and decided it was time to take charge.

"Come on, " he commanded, "let's go inside." Grandfather Huber met them at the door, and led them into the eat-in kitchen. It was a bright sunny room, an odd place for the fearful and worried faces that gathered there.

"First of all, I want to see this note," Mr. Avery requested.

The note read, "Dad, I'm out of here. Your house, your rules. Someday, when I come back, you'll be proud of me. Love, Karl." It didn't make a lot of sense to anyone but Jacob, and he kept quiet.

Mr. Avery puzzled over it for a few minutes, then shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever this is supposed to mean, it's clear he's gone and doesn't expect to be back for a while." He looked around at the worried faces. "Wherever Karl is, he can't be that far away—yet. If we can find out what he took, it will help us guess where he's going. But we have to do it fast if we're to catch him. Let's split up. Kids, you check the basement. See if there are any clues around the cybersuit. Then check Karl's room. See if you can tell what clothes he took, see if he took any money or his favorite possessions. Dan, we can check for bicycles, sleeping bags, tents, or anything else he might be using.

They came back five minutes later. "Some of his stuff in the basement is missing," said Jacob. "His GamePlay magazines and a notebook that he kept with maps of Olympus in it."

Mr. Huber reported, "Some of his clothes are gone. His favorite shirts, his sweatshirts."

"How about his toothbrush?" asked Mr. Avery.

"I didn't check."

"He rarely uses it," Jacob lied.

"Where does he keep his money?" asked Mr. Avery.

"I didn't think to look. I'll be right back." Mr. Huber ran up the stairs.

"He didn't take his sleeping bag or his bike," reported Mr. Avery. His eyes fell on an open telephone book on the counter. "Hey, what's this?" he asked.