The Atham Family

"Mom, I'll be fine."

I repeated for the fiftieth time. I was standing at the airport with my family, all repeatedly hugging me and reminding me to be careful. I glanced around, embarrassed when a lady laughed at us. My dad and older brother Jamal were standing a ways away, looking back and forth like they were criminals.

I returned my focus to my mom who was staring at me with the same eyes we shared. Hers were watery. "I just love you so much. You're going to visit, right?"

"Every single break." I promised, holding her hands. "I'll be fine. It's just New York."

"Two thousand miles away." Jamal reminded, making my mom wail and grab me in a bone crunching hug. Again. I shot him a dirty look, to which he smugly returned, before patting her on the back. I looked over at my dad for help, and he begrudgingly removed my mom from koalaing me.

My plane was called out from the loudspeaker and I turned back to my family, giving them all one last look. I wouldn't see them for two and a half months. My dad leaned down and pressed a kiss onto my forehead. "Go on, you don't want to miss your flight."

I nodded and then took a deep breath. "Love you guys. See you in a couple months."

Mom nodded, holding back tears. "Love you too, honey."

Jamal put a hand on my head, flattening my curls. "Be safe and trust you gut. No matter what." I smiled up at him, knowing that it was his form of love. I nodded.

I turned to my dad and suddenly felt the tears rushing. "I love you, pops."

Dad kissed my head again. "Love you too, pumpkin."

With that, I turned on my heel and dragged my suitcase behind me as I walked over to the flight. When I glanced back, Mom was sobbing into Dad's shoulder and Jamal was consoling them both.

*****

After a long five hours of flying, I was the first to hop off the plane. It was more out of saving my own life than excitement to meet my host family. Unfortunately I got paired next to a man with an illegal amount of foot stench so imagine my expression when I finally breathed in fresh air. Well... as fresh as New York air got.

When I got out of baggage claim, I glanced around the crowded airport. I was told before I left that the man who picked me up would have a sparkly sign with my name on it. I paced around a bit until I noticed a sleek black car a ways away. A man stood on the sidewalk right beside the car, holding up a sign. I rolled a bit closer to see that sure enough, my name was printed in big holographic letters: XANIA ROBINSON.

I waved, getting the man's attention. "Hello. I'm Xania."

The man bowed. "Wonderful to meet you, Lady Robinson."

"Xania is fine." I stuck my hand out to him. "I didn't get your name."

The man hesitantly shook my outstretched hand. "Harold." I frowned. Was he hesitant to shake my hand because I was black? This was already seeming to be a great start to my next few months. Harold opened the back door of the car and I slipped in, putting my seat belt on.

Harold put my large suitcase in the trunk of the car before getting into the front seat. He started up the car and we drove away from the airport in silence. I played with my seat belt, awkwardly looking at the back of Harold's head every few seconds. "So... are you my, um, host family?"

Harold glanced at me from the rear view mirror. "Oh no. I'm the butler. You'll meet the Athams when we get into town. They're... eager to meet you."

Butler? The Athams are rich?

"Oh." I looked down at my lap, running my suddenly clammy hands on my jeans. As the uncomfortable silence returned, I found interest in my legs and busted up knock-off vans. I suddenly felt embarrassed about my simple clothing that I didn't put much thought into. Gosh, how embarrassing.