THIRTY-NINE

Sirius watched in irritation as Ariah and Frank sat together at the hufflepuff table. Frank had his arm over her shoulder as she leaned her back into his chest, a giant smile on her face as she laughed at something one of the Hufflepuff beaters said. Sirius growled, stabbing his fork in his eggs and steak. It was too early for this, he thought.

"Hey mate," Peter said. "What'd your food ever do to you?"

"It's not his food he's mad at," James said, pushing his own plate back in disgust.

"Odd. I truly thought he was mad at his eggs," Peter said sarcastically. "Why does Frank and Ariah upset you, James?"

"Because Sirius is my mate," James said, as if it were obvious. "And him and Ariah belong together — that's why."

"Wow," Sirius said, looking at his friend. "Thanks mate."

James put his hand on Sirius' shoulder. "Anything for you, mate. Now I've got a few ideas on how to break them up...."

"Not sure that's a good idea," Peter said. "I mean she's happy. Can't you two just let her be happy?"

Sirius bit his lower lip looking back at Ariah. She did look happier than he had ever seen her and it should make him feel better. But it broke his heart. He sighed.

"Peter's right..." Sirius said. "We just have to let it be...."

"Let it be?! The only person I will allow Ariah to be with is you!" James said. "You two will get married and have lots of kids."

"Wow..." Sirius put his hand on his friends chest. "How many is a lot?!"

James shrugged. "I was seeing like four little Blacks."

Sirius shook his head quickly. "Two," he said. "At most!"

"Only two?! I want six — can you imagine six little Potters."

"I can imagine the hell that would bring onto Earth," Sirius said with a cheeky grin. "Stop talking about the future — you're making me anxious."

"Where's Remus?" Peter asked.

"Last night was the full moon," James said. "I checked on him this morning before arriving to breakfast — he says he's fine..."

"But we all know he isn't..." Sirius muttered.

"Do you think becoming... y'know... well will it really help him?" Peter asked.

James lowered his voice, minding all around them. "Werewolves don't eat animals, they eat humans. They recognize animals as their own and thus are able to better control themselves, I guess."

"You guess?" Peter asked. "You're basing this whole thing on a guess."

James shrugged. "It's not like it's an exact science." He stood up from the table. "C'mon, Sirius, we have to go to quidditch practice. Friday is the game against Ravenclaw and we have to beat them."

Sirius stood up, his eyes landing on Ariah as she kissed Frank. He made a face of disgust. "My pleasure...."

"So I'm flying on my broom right? Trying to take the snitch before Frankie here can and he comes speeding by, knocking me out of the way before I can get to it," Archer Blythe, sixth year Hufflepuff beater, explained. "He leans forward on his broom, ready to grab the snitch but he's forgotten to slow down as he nears it! So Frank here zooms past the snitch and crashes straight into Dana! Caused quite the tumble and yet he still got the roll as seeker!"

The group all busted out laughing as Frank hid his face in Ariah's shoulder. "I was twelve and had no sense of balance! Let me live it down!"

"Never, Longbottom," Dana Mae, sixth year Hufflepuff chaser said. "You broke my nose so we will not let you live it down."