FIVE

Sirius sat at the table with his whole family on Christmas evening. Every Black was gathered under 12 Grimmauld Place making snide remarks to the one Gryffindor in the family of Slytherin's.

The week had been filled with nasty hate from his family about what a disgrace he was, Sirius being compared to his brother Regulus and mutters from the house elf about him being a blood traitor. And that was before his whole family arrived.

His only solace was his cousin Andromeda though to his great dismay, his favorite cousin was disowned for getting engaged to a muggle-born wizard.

"A mudblood!" shouted Bellatrix at the dinner table. "My own sister marrying a mudblood! She's a bigger disgrace than you Sirius."

The family erupted in a fit of laughter to which Sirius simply shrugged it off.

"At least she's happy..." he muttered

The table fell silent and Sirius knew he had seriously messed up. Regulus elbowed him, a concerned look drawn on his face. But it had been too late.

"Excuse me?" his mother said in a threatening tone.

Sirius felt his heart begin to hammer in his chest. Everyone had heard him. He couldn't hid it. He wasn't too sure he wanted to hide it anymore....

"She's happy..." he said. "S-so.... who cares if he-he's.... muggle-born."

His family all let out gasps.

"Who cares?!" his mother shouted, getting in his face. She struck him across the face. "No member in this family is going to say such things!"

Sirius held his cheek, looking at his brother. Regulus held his breath, obviously trying to hold in his concern for his older brother. It was something Sirius never could do. Whenever she hit Regulus — Sirius got it a lot worse after showing his concern for his brother.

"Go to your room!!" His mother screamed.

Sirius didn't hesitate, quickly standing up from his seat, he made his way to his room. He shut the door, collapsing his back against the door.

He let out a shaky breath, trying hard to keep from crying. A few tears slipped from his eyes as an owl screech brought Sirius' attention to his bed.

Sitting on a package on his bed was an older, grey screech owl with balding patches. It screeched once more, pecking the string of the package.

Sirius furiously wiped away his tears, scrambling over to the package. He gave the owl a treat, allowing it to leave out through his window. He brought his attention back to the package, sniffing back tears.

Untying the package, he found a note attached with the messy hand writing of Ariah Lupin.

Dearest Sirius,
Merry Christmas! I hope you are having a descent holiday. If not I hope this gift lifts up your spirits slightly ;) maybe one holiday break you can come over to our place and watch it!
Anyway, I'm very sorry about getting inside you're head before break. I'm trying to find out how to control it so I don't hurt you again... I'm really sorry.
Can't wait to see you after new year!
Most sincerely,
you're bestest (and only) friend

Sirius chuckled, placing the parchment off to the side. He grabbed the first thing in the package. It appeared to be another package with a still picture on it of a boy holding a golden ticket. Across it read, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

He laughed, despite knowing there was no way he'd be able to watch it at Grimmauld. He thought hopefully that he'd be able to take Ariah up on that offer.

He grabbed the second object, a book called "How to Make Friends: for dummies." In the cover she had written, "I will always be your bestest friend, but I need some competition ;)"

Sirius laughed, shaking his head, before he heard his mother yelling at Regulus downstairs.

Sighing, he grabbed the note, rereading it until he finally fell asleep.

Shaking the snow out of her hair, Ariah followed beside Meeka and Remus into the Great Hall.

She hadn't been able to locate Sirius on the train and was hoping to find him.

"Hello Riah." An arm draped around her shoulder, telling her that James had arrived. She could tell he was anxious about something... but maybe that was Peter who also had arrived.

"Must you always greet my sister like that," Remus asked in a grumble.

"Would you rather me greet her like this?"

Before Ariah could protest, James pressed his lips to her cheek causing Meeka to grimace and give her voice of disgust. Remus growled at the boy while Ariah pushed James off of her after spotting Sirius.

"Sirius!"

She ran over to the boy, quickly wrapping him in a tight embrace.

"Did you get my gift?" she asked, parting from the hug.

She quickly noticed just how drained and upset he was. He smiled upon seeing her but she knew something was hurting him.

She hadn't meant to get inside his head and immediately scolded herself for doing such a thing. It wasn't like she was trying to, really. She just felt his emotions upon entering his presence.

"Did you not like your gift...?" she asked, slightly worried.

He chuckled. "No, no. Your gift was amazing."

"Was your holiday okay...?" she asked, trying to make it seem she didn't already have an idea.

"You're inside my head aren't you?" Sirius asked with a sigh.

"No! I mean.... not intentionally..." Ariah looked down at her feet. "Really. I just feel your emotions..."

"You don't know what happened...?"

She shook her head. "Seriously, I'm no mind reader.... just.... an emotion reader??"

"Yeah... that's not a thing...."

Ariah sighed. "Well I promise you I would never read your mind, even if I could."

Sirius smiled, his mood lifting quite a bit which caused Ariah to smile brightly.

"I like when you're happy, Sirius..."

"I think I do too..."