"Do...Do I know you?" She asks, standing up with a jerk. "Have we met before?" There's an urgency in her tone. 

"I don't think so." I reply with a secretive smile. If only you knew, Angel...

"Your voice...Are you sure?" She probes, unsettled. Does she remember me? My heart skips a beat. Was I right to think that her mind may have forgotten about me, but her heart carries me in it? 

"Positive. I don't forget beautiful faces like yours." Angel opens her mouth, her expressions telling me she's gearing up for an argument. Oh, she's not satisfied at all. 

"Babe, if the man is saying he doesn't know you, then I'm sure he's right." Sushant interferes hastily. Angel shuts her mouth, her expression telling me she's not ready to shut the chapter on her inquiries just yet.

"You," I say, turning my attention to Sushant. "I may not know your lovely date, but I sure as hell know you." He furrows his brows at me, unsure of the game I'm playing. "Remember boarding school? We'd collect those cards and sell them for ten rupees or less in the back alley." Sushant narrows his eyes at me. I place my hand on his shoulder, squeezing down hard. "Remember, friend?" 

"Of course," Sushant says, squirming in my death grip. 

"Why don't you accompany me to the bathroom and let's catch up." I turn my head towards Angel. "I do hope you don't mind me stealing your date for a few minutes." 

"By all means, go ahead." She says, watching me like I'm a jigsaw she's itching to solve. I gesture for Sushant to lead the way towards the bathroom. He obliges. Smart guy. 

"Start squawking," I order, as soon as we enter the bathroom. "I wish to know everything from the day of the accident and how you crawled your way to the level of babe." 

*****

"Manik, forget about Nandini. She has long back forgotten about you, so let things be." Sushant says, once he's done narrating the ongoings of the past six months. 

"Oh, for sure," I scoff in disbelief. "Because that would make matters so fucking easy for you." 

"Look, the doctors are the ones who told me to ensure Nandini doesn't put great pressure on her mind trying to recall the past." Sushant says, as if that justifies him deceiving my wife. "They said to wait a year before we begin sessions to make her remember past events. Although, along with that they said if she starts from scratch and can begin a new life - turning her back on the old one - then that'll be even better. I'm just trying to help her, Manik." 

"Oh for fuck's sake!" I yell, banging my fist against the wall. "You can fool Angel with that crap, but not me." 

"If you love her - even a little - then you're going to let things go on as they are. I thought love wasn't supposed to be selfish, and yet you're willing to risk her mental health for your pleasure." Balling my fists at my side, I take a step closer to Sushant. If Angel didn't know he was in here with me, then tonight I would've surely ruined his face once and for all.

"Don't experiment with your sick mind games on me. I can see right through all the shit that's in you, Sushant." My finger jabs into his chest. "My love is not selfish. Heck, any sane person can see that Angel will be happier with me than with any other asshole on this planet. You know why? Because she has opened the gates of her heart for me. I haven't crept into it by force or through deceit." 

"Destiny was on your side back in those days, Manik. Nandini became your partner by pure good luck, nothing else. No offence, but you both aren't meant to be. Why else would fate now be playing on my side? I own her heart now." 

"That's the difference between you and I, Sushant. I never owned Angel's heart. She gave it to me, and I was blessed to have it. She's not my possession," I say. "I am honoured to have her in my life, and not a day passes by when I don't realise this." Sushant shakes his head, casting his gaze away from me. "You know what? I am going right now to tell Angel the entire truth." Enough of this bullshit! She needs to be aware of who I am and the past we share. After that, at least the control will be in her hands.

"If you're so damn confident about your love, then you won't tell her anything!" Sushant calls out from behind me, making me halt in place. "Let her re-fall for you. Her memories have surely been erased, but she's still the same Nandini." 

"Is this supposed to be some last minute effort to prevent me from untangling the web of lies you have spun?" I ask, turning around to face him.

"Regardless of what you think, Manik, I do care about Nandini. If you try to flood her brain with memories, then it'll have long term harmful effects. Keep your hate for me aside for just a second and think solely about her." All day I have sat behind the computer screen and researched about patients with memory loss, which is why I know Sushant isn't wrong. My impulsive nature could prove harmful for Angel. "I won't even poison her mind against you and neither will you speak against me. This'll surely even out the playing field, right?" 

"Okay, fine," I agree. "But I want you to remember one thing, Sushant. Destiny's still on my side. After all, the feelings Angel once harboured for me aren't wiped clean from her heart. I just need to remind her of their presence." 

I have full faith in the fact that Angel and I are meant to be. Therefore, I have no doubts, whatsoever, that we can fall in love not just once, but twice, thrice and as many times as we wish to. She and I can live through more than seven lives - each time appearing in a new body, with a new appearance and a different personality, surrounded by a completely different situation - and yet I know we will find our way to each other every single time.