Chapter 26: The Actual Rescue

Meanwhile, inside the castle, another duo was putting up quite a fight, but Sinergy and his soldiers were putting up an equally impressive fight. Firestar had turned into so many animals, he had lost count. Currently, he was a black panther, using its speed and strength to catch guards and bite them until they stopped moving.

     Firestar cried out in pain as an arrow pierced his hide. He turned around to see Sinergy, still in the throne room, with a crossbow in his hands. Forgetting for a second that he could manipulate time, Firestar took a deep breath and used his powers. The pain disappeared as the arrow was removed from his skin and placed back into Sinergy's bow, leaving no marks in his fur as if it had never been there in the first place. Knowing he had only a few seconds left, Firestar braced himself as everything started moving forward again.

     As soon as Firestar knew that time was back to normal, he transformed himself into a human and grabbed the arrow out of the air, a smile appearing on his face.

     Sinergy is not going to win. Not this time, thought Firestar.

     Confused by Firestar catching his arrow, Sinergy loaded another arrow and let it fly, but not before Firestar had transformed himself into a cheetah and ran so fast that the arrow embedded itself into a wooden frame on the wall. Outraged, Sinergy fired more arrows, but each one missed its mark and would either stick in the wall or fall to the floor harmlessly.

     Seeing that Aqua was gagging on water, telling him that she could no longer hold her breath, Firestar knew he had to rescue Aqua now, for she only had a couple more seconds to live. Taking a quick breath, Firestar jumped over the balcony and landed on the first floor. Guards shot arrows and rushed at him, but everyone stopped what they were doing when the throne room suddenly began to shake uncontrollably. The doors of the throne room burst open revealing a stampede of all sorts of animals with Stota running at the head of the so-called herd.

     Stota, full of rage and hatred that had built up over the years, charged at Sinergy. Dropping his crossbow and pulling out a sword, Sinergy fended off Stota's attacks. Stota started with some small jabs, but they were quickly blocked by Sinergy as if he was doing it in slow motion. Enraged, Stota's blows became faster until it was a sort of frenzy.

     Behind the two men, the battle was becoming heated. The animals that were once in the stampede now fought the Lamadian guards inside the throne room. Animal and human cries echoed in the large room almost to the point where it was deafening, but the men fighting did not care for they were locked in a battle for power.

     "I know what you did that day," said Stota referring to the day his wife and unborn child were killed. "And what is that?" Sinergy grimaced as Stota's sword barely pierced his right shoulder causing blood to stream down his arm.

     "You were the one behind the attack that day. And you were the one who killed my wife and future child," Stota took another calculated swing at him, but Sinergy had anticipated his move and had ducked just in time, the blade missing his head by mere inches.

     A smile made its way onto Sinergy's face as the truth finally came out. "And what are you going to do about it? Kill me? That will not bring them back from the dead now will it?" Said Sinergy as he took another swipe at Stota. Stota stopped him with his own sword and for a minute the two blades pressed against each other, each man using their strength to get the swords close enough to cut the other's face. As the power struggle continued, Stota quipped back, "No, it won't. But it can't hurt."

     Blinded by anger and sidestepping a second too slow, Sinergy's sword made contact with Stota's right thigh. Stota nearly screamed as he fell to the floor, dropping his weapon along the way. Sinergy loomed above him and soaked in this moment of victory. "Why don't you go join the rest of your family," and with that, he stabbed Stota once more in the gut.