Chapter 1: Stealing a Baby

Many years ago, in the kingdom of Lamada, the people were rejoicing in the castle courtyard on a beautiful summer night. The Lamadians twirled their partners around in the street as spectators tapped their feet to the rhythm that the local band had struck up. Children peered through the legs of onlookers to try to get a glance at the commotion on the street. Fireworks exploded in the sky marking this special occasion. This was no ordinary occasion mind you; this was the celebration of the birth of the new princess their queen had just born. The Lamadians looked to the sky as the fireworks exploded welcoming the new princess into their world.

Meanwhile, in the King's Quarters at the Reynold's castle, Queen Lucille was in bed recovering, after just being told by the kingdom's nurse to rest and regain her strength. Her husband, King Richard, was standing by the large window that overlooked the courtyard. He would come here often and just watch his subjects learning about them and even noticing the things they needed such as protection, a variety of new shops and even guards to protect the defenseless when it came to them getting robbed or beat by locals. As of right now, he was watching his people dance and sing below. After clearing his head, King Richard turned his attention back to the people that mattered in his life, his wife, and his new daughter. He looked at his smiling wife holding their baby wrapped in a royal blue velvet cloth. "What should we name her?" He wondered aloud, knowing his wife probably had an idea since he was not good at that sort of thing.

"Hmmm..." thought the Queen looking around for some inspiration to strike, but nothing came to her until she saw her daughter's ocean blue eyes. It reminded her of the days she had spent with her mother, the former queen, at the beach.

Lucille had always loved the water, so her mom had brought her down to the beach for the very first time as a surprise. Little Lucy, as her mom called her, had never seen such a vibrant and gorgeous hue of blue, that she just had to know the name of the color, so she could remember it the rest of her life. When she asked her mother, she replied with aquamarine. Not knowing how to pronounce the word, Little Lucy only could say aqua and that was the color she had always loved.

Since Lucille was an only child, and her mother had died not long after the trip, she treasured that memory more than gold itself, that is how she knew her daughter's name. Only something that precious would become her name. "How about Aqua?"

"Aqua is perfect."

Lucille Reynold gingerly handed her husband Aqua, then picked up a mahogany antique box with gold etching from her nightstand. The box might have looked ordinary to the eye, but it had been in her family for generations and had become quite valuable to all the members of her family before her. Her mother had given it to her the day she was born, and now it was her turn to bestow it on her own daughter. The Queen carefully lifted the mahogany lid and inside, sitting on a red velvet pillow, was a blue, tear-shaped necklace.

When she was a little girl her grandmother told her stories of the necklace having untold powers and a prophecy that would alter everything they knew to be true. The prophecy stated that the person worthy of it would get mysterious and unique powers; although Lucille never believed everything her grandmother said, she still had her suspicions.

Aqua laughed as her mother placed the rather large necklace around her neck. Everything in their world was perfect or so they thought, but what they did not fathom was that their enemies, the Cadars, woken with a start upon hearing the fireworks, which celebrated the princess's birth, exploding in the sky.

When the Cadars heard the fireworks, they jumped out of bed, mounted their horses, and rode straight to the outskirts of the Lamada border. Their leader, Stota, was a fierce looking man on a black stallion. Stota was on a mission. A mission to settle the score once and for all, that King Richard could not take everything he wanted. "Now men," said Stota addressing his men that gathered around intently listening to every word he said. "I will take a small group of three with me to help open the main gate. The guards will be too busy watching the crowd and partaking in the local festivities, that they won't notice us sneaking in. I want the rest of you hiding in the Eastern Woods about a half mile away." Stota paused for a moment, letting this information sink in before continuing. "Once we get the drawbridge open, the rest of you will rush in and distract the royal guards. With the guards busy I will sneak into the King's room and take what King Richard loves most, his baby. Now go!"