Chapter 16: Saying Goodbye

Darkmoon's funeral came the next morning after his death. It was a gloomy and cloudy day, which matched everyone's mood in the Forbidden Forest.

Aqua had left the house early in the morning to get out of having to answer questions she would have to lie about. The only thing she left was a simple note on the counter saying she needed some time to herself and that she would be back soon.

Having no idea how to dress, Aqua had put on a simple black top and pants with boots to keep herself from getting super soaked. Aqua trudged through puddles and small streams which had just begun to form as the rain started.

She approached the tree that concealed the entrance to the Guardian Camp and removed the vines; it was one of the few trees that had survived after last night's attack. Aqua ducked inside the tree and covered the entrance, so no wandering eyes could find it. Since the battle that happened last night, most of the Guardian homes had not survived, but Darkmoon's house and a few others were still standing. Aqua knew with the destruction of their camp, they would be moving its location to somewhere with the very few Guardians that had managed to escape and survive. The thousand or so Guardians that were once plentiful and numerous were now down to about a hundred or two and even still some were still dying from last night's battle wounds.

As Aqua neared the top of the stairs, the darkness began to subside, but by only a little since it was cloudy. Aqua collected herself as she crossed the bridge towards Darkmoon's house with several dozen or so Guardians, surrounded his house to pay respects to their fallen leader and to see what their new leader would be having them do to start off the special funeral that the Guardians did.

Seeing Firestar in front of Darkmoon's doorway caused Aqua to move in his direction since she had no idea what she should be doing. Just as Aqua got within a few feet of Firestar, he spoke to the crowd. "In honor of a brave warrior and selfless leader, we will remember him by making our traditional Remembrance Catchers. In case some of you have forgotten or are new to this," said Firestar looking in Aqua's direction, "I will show you how to create one." Firestar then turned into a human.

"First you'll need to turn into an animal with fingers or a human for finger purposes before we start. After you have done that we can begin." He paused for a second letting the surrounding Guardians turn into humans and animals in several colorful flashes.

"We will start with the circle twig that represents the circle of life where one Guardian dies, another is reborn. Next, you will take the twine," Firestar lifts up the twine to show the crowd, "and weave it in and out to create a web effect which represents how we are all connected to each other with a strong bond. Then as you near the center with the twine you will attach it to this parchment," said Firestar lifting the parchment into the air for everyone to see. "After that, you will use more twine and from the base of the circle, you will make four or five strands that come down and attach eagle feathers after you have turned into an eagle to get the feathers. This represents how Darkmoon will forever soar in the heavens above. For the final touch, you will dip your paw into the black liquid and put your paw print-or handprint-in the center representing how Darkmoon has made his own special mark on each and every one of us."

After he had finished his instructions the Guardians took turns, a dozen at a time, and filed into Darkmoon's house, grabbing supplies to start on the Remembrance Catchers. Aqua was the last one in the house grabbing supplies when she walked over to Firestar, who was standing in the corner, back in his wolf form. "You okay?" She asked. "I'm fine," lied Firestar.

"You don't look fine," replied Aqua taking in his tired eyes and angry, but solemn expression. "I know you're taking on a big responsibility being the new Guardian leader, so if you need someone to confide in, my shoulder is always free." "Thank you Aqua," said Firestar trying his best to smile, but it looked more like a grimace. Aqua intertwined their fingers for a few seconds trying to console him then left him alone with his thoughts to start on her project.

Aqua went over to a table where all the Guardians were still in human and animal forms working on their Remembrance Catchers. Many of them talked about personal experiences with Darkmoon and how he had affected them and their lives. Others sat with the remaining friends and family they had and cried.

Aqua took a seat at one wooden table at the end that had no one at it. She sat in silence and worked recalling her time with Darkmoon. Even though she had only known him for a short amount of time, he had taught her so much. He had taught her how to fight, work with others, and never underestimate her opponents.

A single tear rolled down Aqua's cheek as she mourned the one wolf that had felt like a father to her since she had never known what that was due to her birth father being dead and Stota not even giving her the time of day. As everyone finished up their Remembrance Catchers, they hung them on the outside of Darkmoon's house to see. Now that the rain had stopped and the sun was setting, everyone started pulling out candles and lighting them.

Dusk had settled upon them as the last of the candles were lit, lighting up the houses and trees in a beautiful way. Then Firestar appeared followed by two wolves with wooden planks fastened to their backs carrying a very large wooden box covered with dark blue carved symbols. Even though the casket looked different than the ones in her world, Aqua knew that it contained Darkmoon's body. All the Guardians followed the wolves carrying Darkmoon's body as they reached ground level, but instead of it being completely dark, it was quite the opposite. From where the Guardians stood, their path in front of them was illuminated by carefully placed candles that seemed to dance as a light breeze blew.

Firestar followed the path lit by candles deep into the forest where giant logs had been placed in a clearing where you could see every star in the sky above. The Guardians carrying Darkmoon's body set it on a metal stand in the middle of the large logs. Firestar, in human form, was holding a torch in his hand and set the kindling underneath the large logs on fire. As the fire started to expand around the metal stand, Darkmoon's casket started to burn. "As we shed our tears of sorrow Darkmoon's spirit and soul shall live on in the heavens forever alongside the other greats like stars in the sky," said Firestar speaking to the crowd.

As Darkmoon's body burned, it turned into a sparkly blue color as it floated toward the night sky and disappeared into the heavens. Everyone stared in awe at the spectacle while others cried for the great wolf.

After many shed tears and storytelling of fun times spent with Darkmoon, everyone began to head home under the cover of night. Aqua entered her backyard and walked around to the front door before using her key to enter. The downstairs lights were off, so Aqua crept upstairs toward her bedroom. When she opened her bedroom door Stota was sitting on her bed. She instantly wiped her face off to hide any stray tears that may have remained; she was not going to appear weak in front of him. Never. "Where have you been?" He demanded. "I told you I needed a little time to myself. And a friend needed me," replied Aqua a little too defensive.

"You can't go leaving the house for an entire day. I was worried about you," stated Stota as he got up from the bed. "Sure you were," Aqua replied sarcastically rolling her eyes. "Don't you dare take that tone with me, young lady," said an angry Stota.

Aqua tried to control her anger. She tried counting which usually helped her, but she was at twenty and it was not working and she had run out of patience, so when the next words flew out of her mouth there was no way she could take them back. "Or what you'll kill me like you killed my parents!" Stota looked like he had just been punched in the gut. "How do you know that?" He asked as he walked closer to her when he saw the black string around her neck, he pulled it out revealing the sapphire blue tear-shaped necklace. Without warning or a response, he yanked the necklace off her neck. Then ran out of her room, shut the door, and locked it. "Let me out!" Yelled Aqua as she banged on the door. "I don't know how you know what happened, but I'm not letting you out until you tell me."

"Never!" Aqua responded. "Then you will have to stay in there with no food or water until you come to your senses!" Stota yelled back as he headed toward his bedroom into his closet where his safe was and locked the necklace inside. Aqua sank to the floor and began to think. What was she going to do now? If she had kept calm would that have been better? No. She was glad it was out in the open. The only problem was she now had another enemy on her hands, that is if he did not directly kill her, he was going to make her have a much slower and agonizing death by starvation. What she needed to do now was think of a plan to escape and that was exactly what she was going to do. Escape.