16. My Stronghold

Zacznij od początku

...How the heck did he come up with that that quick?

I smiled with amazement as I turned to my parents and nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, me and Matt used to be really tight," I said before squeezing Bastion's hand, "It's been awhile."

By the looks of it, John was kind of buying the tall tale but my mother still looked highly suspicious.

"I'm sorry, Matthew," she began, "But the weird thing is...Mary's never mentioned you before."

I shook my head immediately. "Yes I have, mother. You must have not been listening."

I needed to move quickly. My mother wasn't going to believe this sham for long. So I ushered Bastion into the house and gestured towards the stairs. We needed to get to my room. That was the only safe place to speak.

"I'm certain I don't remember hearing about you," my mother said to Bastion, following both him and me to the bottom of the stairs, "Mary, how did that slip your mind?"

"I told you mom, I did tell you about him. Now Matt and I have to catch up. Don't we Matt?"

Bastion nodded, his eyes creased with exhaustion. "Yes Mary...we certainly do."

There was something in his reply that told me he wasn't faking. So I walked even faster up the stairs, taking two steps at a time. He did the same.

And when I didn't hear my mother behind us, I knew we were home free.

"Well they seem close," I heard John laugh from downstairs.

I leaned over the balcony to hear better. Bastion did the same.

"Yeah...they sure do," my mother muttered, "I just don't remember hearing about a Matthew. Ugh...I must be losing my mind."

I smiled. Yes, she bought it.

Grabbing Bastion's hand, I led him to my room at the far end of the hall. Now his skin felt cold.

He was getting worse...

Once we were both inside, I closed and locked the door behind me. I even shoved my desk chair underneath the knob just in case. I didn't want there to be any unnecessary interruptions.

I motioned towards the bed and Bastion paced over to it and sat down. I sat beside him, my bed making a loud squeaky sound as I did so. But all my focus was on Bastion. He was now staring into his lap.

Because now it was time.

"Mary..." he said in a husky, low tone.

I didn't want to answer him. I didn't want to do anything! Why couldn't we just go back to hugging? Why couldn't I go back to his loving arms? Why do I have to listen to this?

I don't want to know what happened...I don't want to know!

"Mary?" he said again, reaching out and placing his hand on my shoulder. His fingers were so skinny and thin.

I shook my head, my eyes closing. This forced a single tear out of my eye. It rolled down my cheek and hit my pants, splotching it with wetness.

I bit my lower lip.

It was over. I couldn't hide from the truth now.

"Yes?" I whispered.

I heard him heave a deep breath.

"Mary...I killed her."

Now my tears streamed...

I averted my eyes to my side.