21. Wants And Needs

Authors note: So, it's kind of frustrating losing people because my story got dark. I know, I know. I can't please everyone. It was never my intention to have this story be happy, happy. So, I'm just going to warn you all right now. Don't expect a happily ever after. I'm just warning you. Alright, the review count for the last chapter was great. I hope to see more of you with this update. Please enjoy!

When I woke up, if I was indeed awake, I felt like hell.

My head kept rocking back and forth. My brain felt like a ball rolling round and round within my cranium. It kept bumping against the sides of my skull, giving me a splitting headache. My eyes were drowsy and caked with sleep. I licked my dry lips. They tasted of old eggs. It made me wretch.

When I slipped out of my bed, I instantly fell to the floor. My legs felt like overcooked spaghetti noodles; limp and jiggled. I tried to crawl. I made it halfway out my door before collapsed, exhausted.

"What the hell?" I exasperated, reaching for the stairs railing. Thank God for that.

As I dragged myself downstairs, I felt the urgent need to dunk my head in orange water.

Kill me.

"Well good morning Mary…you're up late this morning."

My mother's voice sounded like a long blurb of a broken radio. It kept making the same sound and yet I could never understand what she was trying to convey. Her mouth was still moving as my quaking body took a seat in the nearest chair. I held my head, trying to slow down the speed of my day.

"Hello, Mary?!" she screamed.

Everything within me ached. I clamped my hands against my ears as I glared in my mom's direction.

"I'm right here…" I whispered, "You don't have to yell…"

She shrugged at my statement. "You weren't responding…sorry. Anyhow, I was trying to say Oliver already left. You'll have to take the bus today."

I nodded. Even that made my head hurt. I returned to just covering my face in my misery.

"You hungry?" my mother inquired, indifferently placing a heaping plate of bacon and pancakes in front of my face. The food made me want to barf. The aroma attacked my nose like nails. My stomach churned as I was unable to withhold a groan.

"Not hungry." I gulped down the digested food surging up my throat. "Whatsoever…"

I glanced at my mother who wasn't convinced. She had one hand on her hip that only meant "I know what you're up to and I knew it before you were even up to it." Her head fell on her right shoulder in a disgruntled manner. And then, if she really knew something was up, she would suck her teeth.

And that's exactly what she was doing…right…now.

"You've got a hangover."

I sighed.

So I really did get drunk last night.

"Don't you?!" my mother demanded. Through the pain, I nodded vigorously as she slumped into the seat across from me. Now her hands were folded…things were about to get worse.