Episode 29: Vengeance is Mine

The bridge to Faernia Castle was quite high up, but it didn't overlook any river, moat, or even cliff

The bridge to Faernia Castle was quite high up, but it didn't overlook any river, moat, or even cliff. The distant below was filled with woodland and cityscape, more interconnected than the main city. Leos wondered whether Pokémon lived there or not. Given the untouched state of the land, it wouldn't be a surprise if the public had been evacuated there.

In the centre of the bridge, Ariala waited. Leos' group slowed down as they got closer, although they were surprised to find that Rune had passed them during their battle and had already confronted her. The two stared at each other a few paces away, their weapons out and eyes completely fixated on each other.

"Father!" Leos shouted and tried to push the Dewott aside. Rune almost retaliated, but realised it was Leos. "What's happening? You haven't hurt her, have you?"

"It's what it looks like," Ariala answered him. She was unharmed, but the dark storm clouds blanketing the sky and strong wind said otherwise. It was like curses were being whispered along the wind, curses that warned of a disastrous end to the battle. "We've said our words. And now, every action is beyond consequence. Whether it's karma from the gods that have transcended our mortal realm, or judgement from the gods still amongst us, we will see hardship for our actions. I only wish to stop those hardships from getting any worse."

"How can they get any worse than they are now? Have you seen the way the Pokémon are killing each other? I've never seen anythin' like it!" Griselle cried.

Ariala looked down and moaned. "The Pokémon aren't fighting this way because they can. They're doing it because they have to, for their survival. With the Tapu gone, we can't sustain ourselves, Leos!"

"But they can. The Pokémon on Eris are able to do it. And they don't even have all that technology," Prem replied.

"Don't bother bringing Eris into this. We don't live that way because we want to," Rune growled and looked back at him.

"No. It's not that. The Pokémon are afraid. I'm afraid. We could resort to eating meat and sustaining ourselves as the Erinians do, but what would become of our world if we did? Pokémon can't just suddenly adapt to that kind of life. It's too unjust!" Ariala said. She spoke slowly.

"They don't have to," Leos said, looking down as well. "I wouldn't need to kill them if they weren't disturbing the peace treaty. This war wouldn't even be happening if Tapu Bulu didn't go to Eris to kill so meaninglessly."

"We can atone for the mistakes they have made—" Ariala said.

"No we can't! We have to take their position as the leaders of our own civilisation. They grow our food, they energise our electronics, they control our weather, and our healthcare. But these are all things that we can do as Pokémon. We can control them, maintain them without their help. I know we can!" Leos said, and faced forward. "This isn't a battle for conquest. It's a battle for freedom from their ever-growing madness. When we stop being lazy and learn to survive on our own, a way that is just for all, there will be no need for the gods to govern our world. They'll never return!"