Episode 28: Love versus duty

A knock came from the other side of the room

A knock came from the other side of the room. There was no door, but the candlelight in the hallway told him someone was waiting. "You can come in," Leos called out. Rune came in alongside Prem, but the latter looked pale with nervousness.

"You're awake. You didn't sleep at all, did you?" his Father asked. He shook his head. "Well, good morning, anyway. I wish you had told me that you had learnt the Z-Move when you jumped into the battle yesterday."

"You still would've fought against me, anyway." Leos turned away.

"No. The Z-Move is the very attack I wanted you to learn. It appears you're aware of more important things now, like the choices you have to make as this world's new leader. You've already acted on that path, but I have much to tell you," Rune began. He looked away and gave a huge sigh. "The Heavenly Execution... that's your Z-Move. The power to execute even a god with the onslaught of a thousand clones. With this power, you have the potential to kill the Tapu. But why—"

"But why would I want to kill the Tapu? Because they've grown mad with age, and their dictation of civilisation has grown twisted. I already know, Shaymin told me everything." Leos folded his arms. "I know everything. About how I'm a hybrid and how I have to uphold the legend of Etheria."

Rune hesitated and scratched his chin. He eventually folded his arms as well, and cleared his throat. "If this Shaymin is the one I'm thinking of, then that means you obeyed a god despite being aware that the gods are coming of age in our time."

Leos tensed up, but Rune ignored him. "Regardless, you've started what you need to start. I've spoken to your allies already, and we've gathered an army."

"This isn't a sustainable solution, though. The Tapu will just be reborn, and the same thing that's been happening will happen again, thousands of years later. We need to find a real, sustainable solution to the planets and their energy crisis!" Leos said. "I'm not going to just play into this, 'legend' or not. I'm going to find a way for us to live without relying on the gods."

"Oh? Do you think that's possible?" Rune said, surprised.

"Of course it is. It has to be. We just need to change our scientific approach," he replied, beginning to pace. "I believe Faernian research at the moment goes into the development of new technologies that make use of the Tapu terrains and their blessings. But if we change the direction of that research, to figure out how to actually grow plants and things, for example..."

"You've already killed Tapu Bulu, though. We don't have time for that," Rune said.

"What do you mean? I executed him because he attempted to start a war. We don't have to feed into that," he said.

"The other Tapu are undoubtedly aware of his death. If Eris doesn't act, they will come to us, seeking revenge. That's why I gathered an army. We're to set off this afternoon," Rune said. Leos let out a small gasp. "This is the path you chose when you decided to kill Tapu Bulu. If it's not the one you wanted, then you should have thought about it sooner. There's no going back, now."