Episode 24: The Second Country ~ The Legend of Etheria

Leos sprung awake with a sharp jolt

Leos sprung awake with a sharp jolt. A nightmare caused him to move too quickly, and he ended up squirming from a horrible pain in his back.

"Prince Leos!" Griselle cried, leaned over him as he slowly fell back down.

He didn't look at her, but he recognised her voice enough to know it was her. He also recognised the nightmare that caused him to shoot awake this way. It was the premonition he had when he entered the Constellar Church.

It took him a while to settle his breath and open his eyes, where a worried Griselle was leaned over him. Her face brightened when he looked at her though, her sunny smile a big relief to the darkness he'd just seen. He felt like he was lying on damp sand or something of the sort, and stretched to try and scratch the itches it was giving him.

"Prince Leos, are you alright?" Griselle said as she helped him up.

The moment she touched him, the reality of his condition hit like a truck: he was at one percent right now, barely awake and functioning. It hurt to sit up, his vision was blurry and dizzy, his ears were muffled, his body ached from famine, and more. He could barely raise a hand or utter a sound to reply, and instead fell forward onto all fours.

"Darn it, not now!" he cursed in his mind as he gasped for life. He was so sore and fragile that it hurt to breathe. "I should be used to this by now but... if I don't recover, I really will just pass out again!"

"I'm gonna take that as a big no no. B-but on the bright side, I know where we are! And Prem is safe, too!" she cheered. "We don't have far to go. Prem, Leos is awake!"

"Prem," Leos managed to huff. No doubt Prem was beyond worried, but he didn't say anything at all. He just put his hands together and stared. He looked like he was going to cry at any moment.

"Can you stand?" Griselle asked again. She barely gave Leos a chance to try since he was still puffing and panting on all fours. She nodded to herself and her thoughts and hoisted him onto her back.

"Gr-Griselle, what're you d-doing?" Leos said.

"You're not gonna make it, so I'll take you as far as I can. It's really not far to the tents, so you won't have to worry about me," she said with a smile. With that, she jogged off.

Thankfully, the unusual act caused Leos to wake up a little. He was still fighting to stay awake, but he could at least see and hear properly now. Wherever they were, it was nothing like anything he had ever seen.

Griselle led them out of a tight enclosure of uniquely shaped towers of rock and into the vast expanses of a desert, but they appeared to be near to the edge of that desert. Sand, dunes, and heat fluctuations were all he could see to one side, whilst their destination, a prairie, covered the other side.

The biggest concern was that no one was around. Leos hadn't seen a real desert before, but he knew of all the dangers and comforts that led some Pokémon to live in them. Why not a hint of life was in sight worried him, but in his current state, he knew not to question it.